1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 30, 2022.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

5 pm update
    Still moving west

5E88E1C1-F09F-4E14-B52F-B2E5FD429E1E.jpeg

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Gustav (another hurricane that got my attention from the get-go) also had a track that kept getting shifted farther west and it eventually made landfall in Louisiana, though fortunately it was greatly weakened by shooting its wad on Cuba and Jamaica.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Good news: A more western track keeps the big Florida gulf cities from taking a direct hit. Tropical storm wind and rain is doable, even if it's the northeast quadrant.

Bad news: If Ian shoots the gap between Cuba and the Yucatan, the mountains won't have any influence on the eye wall. It'll come in hard and hot somewhere around Steinhatchee. Or worse, bury itself into Appalachicola or Carabelle.

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Still shifting west at 11 p.m.
    [​IMG]

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I need Trump to Sharpie that thing up the east coast somewhere.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

2 a.m. Sunday. No change, really.

Remember:
    H = Hurricane
    M = MAJOR HURRICANE

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

There are several good people putting in work on YouTube tracking this thing.
    Models are still all over the place. The Euro still has it smacking just north of Tampa while the GFS is all the way over at Pensacola.
    The most promising thing is one guy has it dropping all the way to a Cat 1 before landfall. Still looks like it's going to hit in the middle of the night.

8. Driftwood

On the flip side, there is at least one prognosticator on YouTube with nice shiny graphics, but I wouldn't trust.
    When you start your video with, "Now this isn't based on any scientific data, just my gut..."

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There is a pretty big piece of these forecasted track models that ain't much more scientific than "my gut." So as to reflect the reality that there's uncertainty as to where a given hurricane will go, those cones have to include a variability term. Trouble is, every such storm's variability term is unique. To get around this, they simply use one standard deviation of the forecast error observed over the previous 5 years.

maumann likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Obviously when you are dealing with Mother Nature, there is always some guess work involved. But when it comes to loss of life and billions of dollars in property damage, I'd rather not base my information on the YouTube channel of some cat who stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted