1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 30, 2022.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The part of it around Port St. Joe and Apalachicola is known as The Forgotten Coast.

maumann likes this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The really bad news: Water. Lots and lots of water.

maumann likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When we lived in Dothan before kids (and before Michael rudely rearranged all the furniture) the former Mrs. Dixiehack and I would sometimes do a cheapo weekend in Mexico Beach, maybe drive over to Cape San Blas. And working for the Marianna paper meant covering occasional road games in places like Port St. Joe or Carrabelle, which was a nice change from the lovebug hellhole of the inland Panhandle. I used to spend a lot of time daydreaming about finding a little shack down there where I could be a capital W Writer during the day before ambling next door at night for fresh seafood and cocktails.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My wife and I lived in Pass-a-Grille right after we got married, had a little garage apartment on the channel and one hurricane destroyed a dock and dumped it in our backyard. Hope everyone is spared the worst of this one.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The last place I lived in Florida was in Palm Harbor, east of US 19 and just north of Clearwater. It’s about six miles inland, on the highest elevation in Pinellas County (roughly 35 feet). When we evacuated for Irma in 2017 — the only time in the 20 years I lived there that we evacuated — my concern was basically being marooned on that high point, with surge from the gulf on two sides and surge from the bay on the other two.

maumann likes this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Obviously not close to the most important thing if Ian wrecks Tampa, but next week's Chiefs-Bucs game is in Tampa. Looks like the storm will be well out of Florida by Sunday, but I think Wednesday is normally the drop-dead day to make a decision on whether to move it or reschedule it. If they follow that timeline and this is as bad it could be, they might not have a choice.
    Looks like a bunch of college games in Georgia and the Carolinas will deal with bad weather as well.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Lots of Myrtle Beach area high schools are moving their Friday night football games to Wednesday in anticipation. We may get significant rain in Virginia on Saturday from this.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have a game Saturday right in the path of what will probably be heavy rain. We shouldn't experience any real hurricane weather, but I foresee getting soaked going in and out of the booth.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Is it bad that I'm mostly concerned how this will affect a family of cute golden retrievers that lives in the Keys that I started following on social media during the pandemic?

maumann likes this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That’s the most important preparation for a hurricane, get the HS games in before the rain.

Draft saved Draft deleted