1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 30, 2022.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I figured it wouldn't last.

Travel & Leisure magazine tweeted an article from a couple weeks ago about the best places to visit in Sanibel.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Does DeSantis ever stop to breathe when he talks, or is he a windup doll?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I didn't bother to fill up the day before Sandy, because I had an appointment the next morning 45 minutes from home where there was a gas station that never was busy. So I get there, have my appointment, and notice the loooong line of cars waiting for gas, some overnight. Turns out the delivery tanker truck hadn't arrived. My tank is below E as I set out for a station, quickly finding they are either closed or have lines of people toting jerry cans. Passing an office complex I see a landscaper's truck, those guys carry their own gas! I pull up and beg him for a gallon to get home, offering the $47 in my wallet. He says he has to clear it with his boss via cell.

His boss tells him to give me the gas for free.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Well, Walt did have the evil gene. Like Hitler. And Bart Simpson.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeesh.

maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Be very suspicious over the next year or so about buying motor vehicles that seem to be too-good-to-be-true bargains. I'm certain there are tens of thousands of flooded cars in Florida and South Carolina that are going to appear on used car lots or even listed as "new" that will have underlying flood damage.

The plan this winter was to trade my Class C motorhome for a Class A. Fort Myers has a couple of the largest RV dealerships in the country, as does Orlando. And I'm definitely going to ask for a detailed inspection of any rig I have an interest in now.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Should have come to the RV show in Hershey two weeks ago. Coulda hung out, maaaaaan.

maumann likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Same thing happened after Harvey in 2017.

maumann likes this.
  10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Planet Money did a show about those kind of cars a couple weeks ago. If you actually get it declared as a loss, but it still runs or could run with minimal repairs, then it goes out to live the rest of its days in the Middle East or South America.

maumann likes this.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

My sister's new Honda was sitting in the South Florida dealer's lot awaiting pickup when Andrew struck. A light pole fell and cut it in half. She got a new, new car.

The night before, on a business trip, I was up until 1 a.m. playing tennis at the Fountainbleau. Figured I'd take a meeting after breakfast and catch my flight home. Next morning I'm on the phone with Dad and watching the news announce evacuation zip codes -- including mine. "Gotta go, Dad." Raced down to a lobby full of troopers getting everybody out. Off to the airport where a cabbie charged us $50 to go 1/2-mile from the rental car to the terminal, and made one of the last flights out. Unlucky colleagues spent three days in a shelter.

Timing.

maumann likes this.
  12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

MSNBC just had a live shot of a Gator swimming by that senior citizens home that was evacuated in Orlando yesterday

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted