1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 30, 2022.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I did not know this, so please elaborate. Almost all of my posted photos work, and keep working long-term, when I open an actual photo from the media source and then link to the isolated photo itself. So what made this photo drop out, and only for some people? And we should use the "Upload a File" button at the bottom right instead of isolating the image and linking to that?

Computering is hard!

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I copy the image itself (not the URL, the actual image) and paste it into the reply box.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Rewatching MSNBC and Alex Wagner on Friday night had a guest describing how boats were pushed inland, devastating homes.

Boats and homes.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I remember when Hugo hit in '89. I saw a couple of rather larger boats - 30-35 footers - deposited in the median of I-26 well north of Summervile, SC. That's nowhere near the water, so they had to have been blown there.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Seen some drone video of the Sanibel Causeway, no way is that thing getting reopened anytime soon. Months and months.

Driftwood and maumann like this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Sadly, the death toll I'm seeing in the wake of Ian focuses around two sets of people: the elderly/sick/poor who didn't have a support network or didn't know their options, and the people who knew their options but chose to ride it out because nobody could tell them what to do.

I've yet to hear from one person who made that decision and survived who wouldn't change their minds, given what followed. Paul was right in his letter to the Corinthians: If you don't listen, there is no difference between the wise and powerful, and the weak and foolish.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    Inky_Wretch, Hermes and Driftwood like this.
  7. Driftwood

Write your name and social on the inside of your left arm and outside of your right leg with a Sharpie.

HanSenSE, 2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  8. Driftwood

We've reached the Oct. 1 safe harbor - hopefully - and neither of these systems worry me too much.

[​IMG]

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I will be keeping an eye (get it?) on the yellow storm. Would be named Julia if it develops.

Don't think there are any weather systems right now over the U.S. that would steer it north. But it's too early to tell.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

A comment (and what could be considered a counterpoint...) that is borne out of the last few grafs of that NYT story:

There are/were more than a few folks who have been through storms -- and warnings/evacuations -- through the years down here (I live in Naples...) and have an experience-hardened belief that "I survived a bunch of these, so how bad could it be?"

Dude said he wouldn't have evacuated anyway -- because if you've never seen a 100-years storm, how do you know what it can and will do? That ignorance/lack of prudence cost lives almost as much as a delay in evacuation issuance.

As always, of course, that's only my $0.02.

rb

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted