1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 30, 2022.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Let me just say fuck this Atlantic hurricane season gently with a chain saw.

garrow and Driftwood like this.
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Caitlyn?

upload_2022-11-8_3-9-5.jpeg

Twirling Time, Batman and maumann like this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The 12-year-old me is laughing at poor Nova Scotia. Spit, don't swallow.

Odd storm. Odd track. It's going to reach Cat 1, according to the NHC, but barely impact central Florida beach counties before it runs smack dab into a cold front. More of a rainmaker/beach erosion type storm than a dangerous "tear up stuff" hurricane. My parents just bought new outdoor furniture.

And poor NASA and their Artemis. Somebody doesn't want that rocket to launch in 2022.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Wilma in 2005. Formed in the gulf, grazed Mexico, was heading northwest toward Louisiana, then ran into a high pressure system and sharply turned east into Florida (and over my house). This one is headed right for me, too, albeit with 35-40 mph winds instead of 85-90 mph.

[​IMG]

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’m running the Richmond Marathon on Saturday, within 12 or so hours of this thing dumping a shit-ton of rain on the city.

All of the rain is supposed to fall on Friday night, but if anything shifts and makes the storm slow down, race day could become a nightmare.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'd say give a shout but I'll be on the fourth day of a five-day golf junket in Alabama. Good luck man!

MisterCreosote likes this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That cold front is doing a serious Mutombo on that hurricane. To the rafters.

maumann likes this.
  8. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Yeah, almost all prep football playoff games in Virginia have been moved back to Thursday and, in a couple of instances, to Saturday afternoon.

9. maumann

Mom made reservations for Thanksgiving dinner at the Tides Supper Club, which used to be the Patrick Air Force Base Officers Club, right on the Atlantic Ocean between Satellite Beach and Cocoa Beach. Of course, that's probably close to where Nicole may make landfall, as anything from a Cat 1 to a tropical storm, depending on timing and how quickly the cold front tears it apart.

So we'll either be eating or looking at the sky from a hole in the roof.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Nicole was a Cat 1 when it made landfall in Florida, making it only the third hurricane to hit the state in November since they started keeping track.

maumann likes this.
  11. maumann

Strong winds and lots of rain, but no damage for either my folks' townhouse (Satellite Beach) or brother's house (Merritt Island). Only sporadic outages. I imagine lots of beach erosion. Have seen video of Daytona Beach Shores and Flagler County issues. We're going to get two inches of rain here in the mountains, but mainly from the cold front, not Nicole.

Driftwood likes this.
  12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Windy and rainy here
    Lost cable twice but never lost power

maumann and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted