1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 college basketball coaching carousel of progress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 26, 2022.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Depends on what you mean by "sleeping giant." They've been consistently good in the A-10 for decades now. They were the first team out this year, and yeah, they were ranked #3 when the Covid season ended. They went to the NCAA tournament four straight years with Archie Miller. If anything, how great that area and arena is might have propped up just so-so coaches like Brian Gregory (on the verge of being fired again) and Oliver Purnell.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Jamion Christian out at George Washington. He was a pretty hot name a few years ago after his run at Mount Saint Mary's, but he never got going in Foggy Bottom. GW is an OK job, I guess, mid-pack A-10 with a chance to sniff the tournament every once in a while.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It seems like Mason’s move to the A-10 has been bad for Mason and GW.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ex-Pen State coach Pat Chambers hired at Florida Gulf Coast U.

5. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

This kind of surprised me as an alum whose interest in the program admittedly has tailed off since the Lonergan mess. I was under the impression that Christian had GW at least pointed in the right direction, at least this season. Building anything at GW takes a while, and three years seems like a pretty short leash unless there's an underlying other reason to can him.

It's a tough, tough place to find sustained success. The fan interest is there when the Colonials win but disappears if they're bad, and even when they are good, getting anyone else in DC to pay attention is not easy.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    TigerVols likes this.
  6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I was married in Moraga. We held the reception at Treasure Island Naval Station because you have to drive to have any fun.

8. sgreenwell

I was wondering if maybe he had initially signed a 3 or 4 year contract. If that was the case, then he's a lame duck heading into 2022-23, and maybe GW decided to just cut bait now vs. waiting another year. Their three players highest in MPG were underclassmen, but they kind of sucked anyway, so I'm not sure that matters.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Definitely someone worth firing the last guy outta nowhere for.

10. sgreenwell

Who's in charge of the hiring there, Trump or DeSantis?

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This hire has it all. The SEC has always been somewhat incestuous in its hiring practices. Some schools in all conferences have been known to make refugee/asylum hires. (Pitt taking Stallings off of Vandy's hands, Georgia Tech doing the same for Memphis with Josh Pastner.) But the incest/refugee hire is quite the combo.
    There's only one reason somebody would go from Florida to Georgia, and it's not for the program history. It's for a fresh start.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He made millions upon millions of dollars for one win. They beat Duke in 2017 when the NCAA moved the tournament from Greensboro to Greenville, S.C., over the bathroom bill. And crazy Frank lucked into a Final Four a week later.
    Dawn Staley isn't walking across the hall and through that door.

dixiehack and Wenders like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted