1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 college basketball coaching carousel of progress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Four seasons, zero NCAA tournaments and Xavier parts ways with Travis Steele.

Xavier hasn't gone this long without an NCAAT bid since the early 1980s, so really it's not that much of a surprise, but the timing might have been: Steele was on the bench for the Musketeers' NIT win over Cleveland State last night.

Miller Time in Cincy again? (Either Miller brother?)

Weird addendum: Xavier hasn't actually fired a coach in a really, really long time.

Mack: left for Louisville
    Miller: Arizona
    Matta: Ohio State
    Prosser: Wake Forest
    Gillen: Providence
    Bob Staak: also Wake Forest

Tay Baker was the last Xavier coach who was fired, and that was 43 years ago.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That's a really good job. Good conference. Good arena. Basketball school. Good support. It rate it ahead of most Big East schools, including Georgetown and St. John's.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They can have Jeff Capel.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Dennis Gates would be a good pick.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Looks as if Kenny Payne will get his first HC job at his alma mater after a few years with the Knicks.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

They obviously have someone they want to hire and are afraid if they wait until the lose in the NIT he'll be somewhere else right? Or do they think if they win the NIT they can't fire him?

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Really hoping X doesn't sniff around Jeff Boals at Ohio. John Groce would be an option there.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What of Chris Mack? I would think he is at least as employable as Sean Miller.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I originally thought your second question was it. But I kind of like your first question now.
    If they pounce on somebody in the next couple of days, we may have our answer.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Might be a big mistake. If he takes the gig and has a decent year, he'll be headed to NC State. And the Rams will be in the market again.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'll be interested to see if Cuonzo lands somewhere quickly.

Draft saved Draft deleted