1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 college basketball coaching carousel of progress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

I believe that of Lee Rose's $80,000 annual compensation when he took the job, $10,000 of it came from Big Stein.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

You could do A LOT LOT worse than Steve Lavin, who somehow is only 57. St. John's never should have fired him. I don't know what the ceiling is because you have to get through Gonzaga on a yearly basis but I wouldn't put it past him.

dixiehack and franticscribe like this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how he does. Landing jobs at storied programs with high expectations was his undoing. Most coaches are able to toil in anonymity while they build their programs up. His career seems to be going in the opposite direction of the norm.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

True dis.
    There is a lot of great HS hoops players up and down the I-15/215, from Pomona and Corona and MoVal and Escondido…

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

My favorite is still how Iowa State wound up landing Johnny Orr from Michigan.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Thing is, you don't have to get through Gonzaga. If you can get to a St. Mary's/BYU level, you can make the tournament out of that league as an at-large on a consistent basis. USD has gotten an at-large in the past. Nice little arena, Jenny Craig Pavilion, affectionately called the "Slim Gym."

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Since you went there ...

Batman likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That's probably true. I guess they've tried young assistants like Bill Grier so might as well go the recycled route.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The coaching tenure of Brad Holland is interesting. From 1998-99 through 2002-03, winning overall records all five seasons and ≥.500 in WCC play in all five. Then a 4-26 season. Then three more winning seasons. And his tenure ends.
    All told, the Toreros have made only two NCAA tournaments in Division I.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And BYU is off to the Big 12. So - St. Mary's. But don't forget Herb Sendek at Santa Clara, Lorenzo Romar at Pepperdine.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Don't forget that Bill Foster was so upset in Durham that he left to go to South Carolina. Which is how Tom Butters ended up hiring some guy with a losing record the previous season from West Point.

Did that turn out OK?

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sendek seems to be doing fine at Santa Clara. Good for him. Good for the school.

Fifteen years later back in Raleigh ... well ... yeah, Wolfpack Club, how's it going?

tapintoamerica likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted