1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 college basketball coaching carousel of progress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 26, 2022.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It was ever thus. The mid-major in my hometown was built with juco guys and washouts from other schools. The four-year players there were few, far between and usually not good.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Talking with other fans of my alma mater, we’ve pretty much agreed the strategy is to stop even trying to recruit star players. Get guys who will need to develop over two or three years. The problem is sometimes you find diamonds in the rough. It used to make your program for three years. Now they’ll just get poached away.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Those programs will be unaffected. I root for one that actually recruits four-year players and develops them. It’s going to be a shock to be relegated to the more commuter-style schools.

I agree with the principle of the portal, but it still stinks as a fan.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

While I fully support players being able to change schools, I think there could be drawbacks for players who don't end up playing professionally. They would be better served focusing on getting an education at one school.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

True.
    Here's the big question: Everybody's transferring, but how many of them will learn -- only after the third-party written, God-praising, Fill-In-the-Blank-Nation-praising tweet -- that several of their credits won't be accepted? They'll either get stuck with nowhere to go or their new school will exploit them by taking them and then telling them later that they really need three semesters to graduate rather than two. Sorry, dude. Your eligibility has expired.
    All of these things might happen in large quantities.
    The Great Player Empowerment Era may not be all it's cracked up to be.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I will add Derrick White, who has been a decent NBA guard. Though White played three years at the University of Colorado- Colorado Springs, which is D-2 school then transferred to Boulder for a year and was a number one draft choice.

But I am hard pressed to think of many D-2 or D-3 guys who have transferred to a higher level and been one of the three best players on a team good enough to get into the NCAA. tournament.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Awwww, the players have the power now and the poor coaches can't get rich off their free labor as easily anymore.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Did some digging on the site listed below. Post the 2020-21 season, nearly one-third of Division I players entering the portal didn't find another D-I gig.
    Of the 340 Power-6 players, only one of every three landed another Power 6 gig.
    It's hard to know exactly how important those numbers are because you can't tell how many of them were scholarship recipients the first time. But it's still safe to say that transferring is not necessarily safe.
    Part of the difficulty here is that if transferring is such a widely accepted part of the culture, coaches will be more likely to run off players and leave them with nothing.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players_search?utf8=✓&search=Dwayne+Koroma&platform=desktop&button=

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

But I am hard pressed to think of many D-2 or D-3 guys who have transferred to a higher level and been one of the three best players on a team good enough to get into the NCAA. tournament.

A guy named Bill Sherwood transferred from Oglethorpe to Oregon State for 1987 and 1988 seasons, played in the NCAAs in 1988 and scored 17 in a head-to-head matchup with Purvis Ellison. He carried some schlub named Gary Payton on his back that year. :)

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I'm not concerned about any of the administrative stuff. Just wondering if players might upset a good academic situation for a slightly greater chance of making the pros.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's also a hell of a lot easier to tell everyone you are "entering the portal" than to say, yeah, my scholarship wasn't renewed because I sucked. I think most portal players end up playing a "level down" in league status or in classification.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Careful. I suspect this is what happened at NCSU with Dennis Smith Jr. He was an Adidas kid who signed with an Adidas school. Got the head coach and an assistant coach fired. Signed with Under Armour after turning pro. Oops.

Draft saved Draft deleted