1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nietsroob17, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Depending on how he develops, Gable Steveson could get a rocket strapped to his back.

Vince and the E supposedly have an age limit for the women (oy vey). So they're mostly going to have young talent, and do very little with them, especially after Sasha got huge and walked away from them.

2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I know Rocky Johnson wasn't perfect, but damn. He was even still married to his former wife until Dwayne turned 6.

"Coming on season 3 of Young Rock..."

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

4. Baron Scicluna

The Soul Man liked his pie too.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Yeah Excalibur was going bananas about how they don’t like each other at the end and I was wondering if I missed something or if this was another AEW “if you dont know the whole history of roh njpw sorry” deal and didn’t want to be critical since it was a real good match.

JR seemed very confused about if the flunky Cesaro had sharpshooter’d could submit or if Jericho had to as captain or whatever. Tazz yelled Ruby Riott too.

Christian might be the best talker they have with MJF out…. His whole heel persona, turtleneck and all, is awesome

6. Baron Scicluna

Some of that reminds me of a story Foley told in his first book about how for WM, they wanted him to work with Marc Mero; Foley thought it would suck, and pitched Vader instead because of their WCW history (including the ear). Vince told Foley that instead of solely basing the storyline on what they did with another company, that they should instead do something to create a WWF history and then refer to the WCW history as an additional reference.

As much as I think Vince overdoes it in trying to erase wrestlers' histories, I think he's kinda on the mark with that thought. I don't really know much about ROH or their history, so I'm kinda in the dark about why Kingston doesn't like Claudio. And I'd imagine a lot of other fans are as well. Maybe if they do some further explanation and create something AEW-related, then it might make more sense.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Its as if they need someone in the room to point out the difference between “history everyone knows and will get” like the Elite/Adam Cole and Fish/O’Reilly or Punk/Danielson and “history that needs more legwork” like this, or even the Punk throw back theme a while back

Batman likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"Stronger than a bull, faster than a buck, spreadin' my seed across Canada 'cause the women there fuck."

nietsroob17 likes this.
  9. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

This is going to be good.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or they think their fans followed indies and know the story or will get on Google and read about Claudio vs. Kingston in Chikara.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

I think one other problem is that there hasn't been enough time to tell the backstory. If the cage match was a couple of weeks from now, AEW could try to show old footage, or have them cut promos on the cage match and have them also mention past history, or do some in-ring "Can they co-exist?!?!?" stuff (even though the E beats that into the Earth's core). Otherwise, it's kinda lost on why Eddie was so upset.

Plus Jericho was still on top of the cage for a bit. If Eddie was so mad, why not toss Jericho off the cage too?

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Ha, "Young Rock" hasn't gone anywhere close to this storyline in its two seasons, most likely because it is produced by The Rock. But yeah, every other source is quite clear that Rocky Johnson had a wandering eye pretty much through the whole marriage, and that's why it ultimately dissolved.

Draft saved Draft deleted