1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nietsroob17, Jan 1, 2022.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't really think the Usos would have much "value" to the other federations, either. They have such a strong association with Roman over the years that I doubt they'd fetch a premium in the indies, kind of like a better version of the Edgeheads. (I realize Ryder eventually found some success, but only after a complete rebrand, and eating a bunch of shit for a year-plus.) Most of the couples listed, I think that's the case. One of the exceptions would be Charlotte Flair, but she also seems like the type of talent that WWE will retain at all costs.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They've really only been associated with Roman, at least on-screen, for the past year or two. They were their own thing for most of their careers in WWE. Calling them a better version of the Edgeheads is an insult. They were a HOF-caliber tag team long before they became the Bloodline.
    Hard to say what the indie market for them would be, but if they were ever to decide they're done with WWE I think Tony Khan would be stupid not to make a run at them.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This just made me laugh.

Batman and sgreenwell like this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There would be a solid market for them for years in the indies, and they'd fit in quite well in the AEW tag scene.

They, and New Day are really the only throwbacks to a different era in the E when tag teams were a prime portion of their content.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Yeah the Usos are among the best 5 tag teams in the world. The idea AEW wouldnt pay thru the nose to put on a few bangers with FTR and whoever else and then have them job to the Bucks is a laugher. They’d be signed in 5 seconds flat.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Fine, fine - I'll concede that y'all are more bullish on them than I am. But I think there's a big gap between like, The New Day, and everyone else the WWE has had atop that division for years.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

For a while, the Usos were just kind of ... there ... on the roster. They never stood out to me, either. Then maybe five or six years ago they started feuding with the New Day and something different came out of them. They really took it to the next level in terms of work rate and character. They've maintained that ever since.
    The way they work the psychology of a tag match, with double team moves and smart tags, is incredible.
    If you want to say the New Day is the best WWE tag team of the last 10 years I won't argue it. But if they're 1A, then the Usos are 1B.
    Maybe it's not a coincidence, either, that those two teams are perhaps the only two of recent vintage that they haven't had turn on each other.

JimmyHoward33, JRoyal and sgreenwell like this.
  8. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

It was when the Usos turned heel and dropped the face paint and Haka dance (when they were still more "Rikishi's kids" than their own thing). Their battles with New Day were epic, especially the Hell in the Cell vs. Woods/Big E. Still remember the bit where Woods and Big E pinned one of the Usos to the corner of the cell by trapping him with a bunch of kendo sticks within the chain link, then started annihilating him with kendo shots.

Batman likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That was the period — and the match — I was thinking of as well. Those two teams really made each other.
    It says a lot when they've had probably a couple dozen PPV matches against each other over the years, God only knows how many TV matches, and yet their matches with each other never get old. New Day vs. Usos should go down in history on the same level as Edge/Christian vs. the Hardys as tag teams who are synonymous with each other.

nietsroob17 likes this.
  10. nietsroob17

Must say, that was not one of the surprises I was expecting to face Joe in the Owen Classic. And I think the crowd was a little tricked when they saw JOHNNY flash on the videoboards.

Does this mean Taya is the women's joker?

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  11. nietsroob17

I guess there's some year-old history there, but that's kind of a lemon for the women's joker.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

WTF is Dustin Rhodes wearing facepaint when he’s not on the card?

Add: Same for ThunderRosa.

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted