1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nietsroob17, Jan 1, 2022.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’d be very tempted to fire him, just like Vince did to Warrior.

That’s just not the right way to do business.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I kind of think MJF-AEW is more similar to a Pillman-WCW situation. It's definitely a work, and I doubt AEW is stupid enough to actually release him to go to WWE, like the WCW did with Pillman. According to the Observer and other news sources, he's got two years left on his deal. That's a long time to sit out, and I doubt that there is a number that WWE is comfortable paying that AEW would accept for him to get out of his contract early.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I would say the strercher job suggests MJF will be gone for a bit while they sort out the financials, but I wouldn’t be floored if he shows up Wednesday for a fire promo on all that went down over the weekend.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Great read. Thanks.

I posted it a while ago and there’s a paywall, but the story of Jumping Joe Savoldi, who was a football player forced to drop out of Note Dame because he was secretly married, then played for the Bears, became a prominent wrestler in the Man Mountain Dean era and became a spy during WWII is a good one too.

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/a/notre-dame-football-wwe-oss-penn-quakers-joe-savoldi-20190911.html

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I just don’t get the over the top love for MJF. Good on mic … a good worker but nothing memorable in the ring. Never goes over. A paint by numbers wrestler.

He’s Miz in Burberry…. And I like The Miz.

Either way, I commend him how he’s been able to troll the entire IWC.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  6. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Curtis Axel, Hurricane, Jamie Noble, the Daivari brothers -- WWE's producers and peacemakers deserve more camera time than some of the people they actually put on air.

7. nietsroob17

WWE can't even avoid ripping off their own cliches in the same show.

Theory gives Ali a title shot via DQ, then the Usos provide the exact same thing to Riddle and Nakamura?

8. nietsroob17

I hope they at least left Liv some snacks after sending her to the ring and then playing 20 minutes of commercials and promos.

9. nietsroob17

And one more: why does WWE think ANYBODY wants to experience three months of Lashley vs. Omos?

10. JimmyHoward33

three letters, M V P

11. JimmyHoward33

This is gold, Jerry, gold

JRoyal likes this.
  12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I don't think it was entirely a work. I think MJF skipping out was legit, because folks had paid a LOT of money to get his autograph and do photos with him. It would be crazy to have him miss that as part of a scripted storyline. My thought is he's pissed about money, and probably wants a bigger cut of things like the fanfest stuff or wants more money overall in his contract, and AEW said something that upset him so he walked on that. May have booked a ticket out of town just to show he would leave (when I'm betting he never really would have). The two side then probably met Sunday and worked out something to get the PPV match out of the way and allow time to come to an agreement. But I just can't see them planning ahead to have him skip something where folks had spent a lot of money for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted