1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023-24 Running NBA thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Oct 24, 2023.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Damn, Kevin Love looks like a well-conditioned 55-year-old.

poindexter likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm probably late to the party on this, but I've become a fan more for his activism about mental health.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Looking at the regular season as the playoff start, what LeBron was able to accomplish this season is remarkable. Here's the list of the oldest players to average 25/7/7 in a season:

LeBron, 39 years old
    LeBron, 36 years old
    LeBron, 35 years old
    LeBron, 34 years old
    LeBron, 33 years old
    LeBron, 32 years old.

He's top 30 in the league in 3-point shooting as a 39-year-old power forward. He shot better on 3s than Steph Curry did this year!

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I also think that LeBron’s success fools people into thinking that other superstars will hold up as well. What Steph is doing at his age is remarkable, but he’s not going to keep it up for 5 more years. Same with KD

sgreenwell and Big Circus like this.
  7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

No player ever has been - and may never be again - as successful as LeBron has, with the kind of longevity he's had, which speaks to the LeBron/MJ argument. At this point, it generally devolves into a meta-argument about peak greatness vs. consistent greatness. I'll stipulate that Jordan's peak was slightly better than LeBron's, but LeBron's consistency demolishes Jordan's.

Jordan was MVP and DPOY together, which is a huge deal. He did things in the playoffs no one else has yet replicated (as did LeBron, but without the concentrated period of dominance like Jordan had immediately before and after his hiatus). But I think we'll see someone like Jokic or Wemby put together some truly obnoxious future playoff runs, and then it will become a different meta-debate that will solidify with LeBron as the more-or-less generally accepted GOAT.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Think about where Chris Paul was just two years ago to where he is now. I can see KD going through a similar quick decline. It's also why the Suns have a two-year window, max, to get this done.

Webster likes this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

KD is an amazing player but he’s nowhere near the player he was in 2020-21

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

LeBron has also spent the last few years of his career carrying a not exactly outstanding, or even good, team on his back, an endeavor in which Jordan has less than no interest. But Jordan was indeed more dominant in his prime than LeBron was in his. Then again, nobody was more dominant than Russell.

Neutral Corner and Big Circus like this.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sentenced this morning. Six years.

Coban Porter sentenced to 6 years in prison in fatal Denver DUI crash

Draft saved Draft deleted