1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Apr 13, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Mudslides have to be a major concern with that much rain in an arid landscape, right?

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It's like the 1942 Rose Bowl in reverse.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

that was my thought

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The good news is there's still lots of reservoir space, even despite the amazing snowpack this last winter. This storm will cause havoc, but it should be a net positive as long as it makes landfall south of the border and stays east of the SoCal coast.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Yes. There will be areas, especially in the mountains, where you’ll see some bad ones. In other areas, the water won’t be able to soak up or go to a creek or river and will cause flash flooding. I wouldn’t go driving in those areas Sunday.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

For the same reasons, I'd avoid driving in the desert as well. Some roads get bad enough during monsoon season, can't imagine what Holary will do to them.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Thank you, Jim Cantore.

This will be a rain/flooding event. This won't be a Cat 4 if it stays over water because as it continues to go north, the colder the water gets. It likely won't even be a Cat 1 when it gets to TJ/San Diego. The shapes of all those desert canyons have been forged for centuries by water.

The Low Desert is going to be a mess. Palm Springs, Coachella Valley, Imperial Valley, Indio, etc. High Desert up into Victorville, Barstow, Baker, Ludlow, Death Valley. Historic rainfall, not just this time of year but anytime of the year.

Mudslides, flash flooding, temporary rivers being formed that will reshape the landscape.

For sure stay off I-15 and I-40 on the north/east sides of the Cajon and San Gorgonio passes.

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

This was the other end of I-40 when Florence came through in 2018.

[​IMG]

franticscribe likes this.
  9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

LOL! It never swallows, does it? Anyway, thanks for posting. Made my morning.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So TS Hilary is tracking right over my new house in about 10 hours. Literally.
    You east coasters got any advice?

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Stay indoors and if you get TV from a dish or internet connection, have an antenna as a backup. Most of the time the biggest threat is boredom.

TigerVols likes this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, TS is no big deal. Even if it was a Cat 1 it wouldn't require anything more than making sure your windows are closed tightly, your gas tank is full, and you are stocked up on beer and pork rinds.

TigerVols likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted