1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Apr 13, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

IMO, a lot of it is ... bleh. Sorry.

----

So far, not too much wind. Lot of rain, but nothing terribly intense yet. Might be fine if nothing more drastic occurs over the next 3-4 hours. The babbling brook under one of the neighborhood roads sounds and looks the the raging rapids because of the hours of fairly constant rains, but the back part of my lot in front of the drainage ditch was still dry when I walked back there an hour ago.

Hopefully, no more drama and I can finish up here and get to sleep.

Hope everyone else in/near the path is unharmed and doing well.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, upon another check, a pretty good-sized limb that jammed into the ground like a javelin, another that fell on the deck and a good 12-foot limb that weighed at least 30 pounds. Of course, in the backyard, far away from curbside. Fun haul. Still, unscathed.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We seem to be getting residual winds from Idalia here in Virginia as it passes back over into the Atlantic. Nice and cool with none of the rain. Not complaining.

Big Circus likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Rode it out here in Myrtle Beach while in for the World Am golf tournament. Organizers canceled today's final round on Tuesday, fearing the worst (and handing out 3,200 rainchecks!), but the sun is out now and courses would probably be playable this afternoon.

maumann likes this.
  5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Cedar Key has a real old-school hotel ... complete with a piano in the lobby, a bell to ding for the front clerk and a very cool bar, "King Neptune's Lounge." Buffet used to play there in the days when he was getting paid in beer money and he'd hold impromptu concerts, playing from his balcony. The hotel also has very good food ...

... and it's haunted
    https://www.islandhotel-cedarkey.com/ghost-stories/

My wife and I have stayed in a great little condo community in Cedary Key right on the Gulf for the last 10 years. Pretty heartbroken today.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Super isolated too. About a hard hour’s worth of driving until you get to the outskirts of Gainesville, with very little to see until then.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

What are your thoughts on checking her for ticks?

Driftwood and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Nice. Real f'n nice. Six systems.

[​IMG]

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That’s a lot of fish storms.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Mostly, and that's what I wish they all were. The yellow X off Africa doesn't have a direction, yet, so I'll watch it.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Does that symbol mean Idalia has joined the X-Men?

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Can't be. Storm is already taken.

2muchcoffeeman and Batman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted