1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Apr 13, 2023.

Tags:
  1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Even going back to the 1800s, I am left scratching my head at weather "records," including in these parts. We're having a wet May here at 5,280. The "record" is 8.57 inches in 1876. So ... how was that measured? Where? Well, it was downtown, but now our "official" weather is 30 miles to the northeast. Even huge snowstorms and temperature extremes, measured pre-WWII, leave me questioning, and definitely anything in the 1800s because, as has been noted, how we record things has made incredible jumps, hell, even in the past 30 years.

FileNotFound and Batman like this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/05/22/when-is-hurricane-season-2023/70223133007/

Based on the 30-year climate period from 1991 to 2020, an average Atlantic hurricane season has 14 named storms, of which seven become hurricanes.

The first named storm typically forms in mid- to late June, the first hurricane tends to form in early to mid-August, and the first major hurricane forms in late August or early September.

The statistical peak of the Atlantic hurricane season is Sept. 10.

Forecasters, in general, predict a near- to slightly below-average year for hurricanes in the Atlantic. This is in part because of the influence of an expected El Niño, which tends to reduce Atlantic hurricane activity.

Top forecasters from Colorado State University predict that a total of 13 tropical storms will form in the Atlantic, of which six will become hurricanes.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

upload_2023-5-22_9-52-8.png
    “So you're telling us
    ... we have a chance!?!”

Driftwood likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

5. Driftwood

Opening Day.

Bring on El Nino and wind shear.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

May the odds ever be in your favor.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Our top hurricane researchers live in Colorado? Must be the better beer scene.

Driftwood likes this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

They can see 'em and track 'em better from the mountaintop.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They study huricanes. You think they'll be dumb enough to live on the coast?

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My homeowners insurance comes up for renewal on July 9.

Premium offered is more than twice as much as when I took out the policy ONLY TWO YEARS AGO . . . and despite installing a new roof, new HVAC system and new water heater in the interim. Independent agent will start shopping for a new policy once the 30-day window opens. But if it's as bad as I expect, I'll just have to consider myself priced out of the Florida insurance market.

11. Driftwood

Mine isn't that bad, yet. We also have an independent agent, and the policy began life with State Farm but is currently Carolina Underwriters something something.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Could have our first tropical storm of the season. Not sure I've ever seen one move away from the U.S. like this, though.

[​IMG]

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted