1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Apr 13, 2023.

Tags:
  1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I fucking hate mild tropical depression coverage. Real journalism would be, "Hey, it's a little breezy. No threat."

Instead it's, "IT'S A LITTLE FUCKING WINDY!"

Such garbage. Do better, Raleigh affiliates.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

It's a fine line, I guess, but you do have to cover your ass ahead of time if a storm blows up hard and fast. ... Thus our constant dilemma here.

maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

They're Craven for it.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Which affiliates? And given that nothing has really hit Raleigh since Fran, what do those affiliates know?

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

It rolled through Onslow Bay overnight. Some rain and moderate wind (peak speed 55 mph) overnight. There was some pretty heavy surf, but that's gone now. I was just looking at some web cams up at the Outer Banks, and they are getting it now.

I'm keeping my eye on Disturbance 1, which is in the middle of the ocean right now. There is a 100% chance of development in the next seven days. The path looks generally like it will follow Lee. Hopefully so. Hopefully that will get us through Sept. and be the last bit of major concern for the year as far as the East Coast goes.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Ophelia cancelled Little League for my 6 year old today and I'm gonna lose it cause I was counting on that to get little kid energy out this morning. Half my house has active covid cases, and has for about 12 days as it cycles through everyone. I'm exhausted from trying to keep young kids busy and not being able to take them to any of our usual indoor activities today. To be clear: The 6 yo is past active illness and his quarantine. I'm in that Day 6-10 period of "You can do indoor stuff with a mask but should only if its a necessity" period, which is why I was hoping baseball would work this weekend.

Also, I agree 100 percent with UNCGrad about the ridiculousness of the local news coverage. I don't see why a tropical depression needs to be wall-to-wall. We had a regular thunderstorm last month that knocked out power in Durham for about 100,000 people for several days and they didn't go wall-to-wall on that.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Quite a bit of PANIC in Virginia, too, but that’s expected. People here freak out over anything other than clear skies and 70 degrees.

Doesn’t bother me too much. Everything got canceled. I don’t have anything that NEEDS to be done today — the first time that’s happened in months.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

UAB plays Georgia today. My ration of disaster coverage is already covered.

Batman likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Managed to get a walk in before the rain starts in earnest here. Already a giant tree branch down on Monument Ave. in Richmond. That's my biggest fear here with wind. We have a ton of old beautiful trees that love to just fall apart in the wind, so you have to be pretty judicious on where you park your car.

10. Driftwood

Conspiracy between the NWS, insurance companies, and media outlets to name storms!

franticscribe likes this.
  11. Sam Mills 51

Lost enough limbs to start a good bonfire if that wood ever dries out. Almost got stuck in the mud twice walking that crap from the backyard to the curb (pro tip: easier to clean up slides, then your feet and legs than to wash up shoes, socks, pants/jeans).

Down the street, a huge tree fell over and took out power and cable for hours. My mother and her husband came over to watch the Duke game, which was fine ... they even grabbed something to eat and brought plenty for the host. Good time was had, not hurt by Duke easily rolling past Connecticut in East Hartford.

We're fine here, thank goodness. Hope everyone else in the path is as fortunate.

franticscribe, maumann and Driftwood like this.
  12. Driftwood

Good. Turn baby, turn.
    We know this image will change when updated, but as of Saturday 9/23, it will reach 55W mid week and take a hard turn north.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted