1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Apr 13, 2023.

Tags:
  1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Acapulco was practically synonymous with “foreign beach vacation” in the 80s. What happened to make it fall off the radar compared to Cozumel, Cancun and all the Caribbean ports of call?

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Uh-oh. ... Somebody's got some 'splaining to do ...
    upload_2023-10-27_0-10-25.jpeg

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

upload_2023-10-27_5-1-6.jpeg

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Acapulco and Puerta Vallarta were big destination prizes on "The Dating Game," so they got a lot of hype there. But that ship sailed long ago.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

6. Twirling Time

Easy flights from the eastern U.S., where most of the population is, would be my guess. Charlie Finley and his flirtation with Caracas were on to something.

For the West Coast, the only thing I can chalk it up to is Cabo had better marketing.

7. Driftwood

Could create some nasty stuff for Central America

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That jeep has a winch on the front. Why are they screwing around with bouncing on the bumper?

Slacker and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. Driftwood

maumann likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Nothing out there for the next seven days and El Nino pattern this winter should bring cooler, wetter weather to the southeast, lowering temperatures in the Gulf. So (knock on wood), we should be able to close the book on 2023.

Despite all the named storms, it really wasn't a particularly dangerous year for the eastern U.S. Idalia was the only hurricane to make landfall, thankfully missing the major Tampa-St. Pete metro (not so great for folks in the Big Bend Coast, Crystal River, or from Lake City up to Valdosta). Coming through there this morning, most of the downed trees along I-75 are gone.

The Pacific was surprisingly worse off, with Southern California getting a rare hurricane and Otis flattening Acapulco.

Let's hope 2024 continues to feed the fish and not the people.

Driftwood likes this.
  11. Driftwood

I'll take another season like this for the next 50 years. We did have a number of storms, but they were fish storms. Any season that keeps storms away from Onslow Bay is good with me.

12. Twirling Time

Kind of a weird year. A battle between storm-supressing El Niño and the Boiling Atlantic. The ocean apparently won after things got hopping in August. Just glad that we had the one landfalling storm here and it wasn't worse.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted