1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 19, 2022.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

If you get t0 300 wins, you should get in.

2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I don't personally think Cone is a Hall of Famer either (or Stieb) but when you let in guys like Kaat, well, Cone was a better pitcher.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I knew you were saying that. Sorry if I wasn't clear. There are few people who think Cone is a Hall of Famer, as evidenced by his being a one and done. I actually thought he might do a little better than that, not because I think he is even a borderline Hall of Famer, but just because he was personable as a player and media members seemed to like him (at least when he was with the Yankees, where he was often good for a quote in what could be an otherwise milquetoast clubhouse).

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Well-reasoned and I agree with both of your two final grafs.

I just look at that career 108 ERA+ in one of the most pitcher-friendly parks in a pitcher-friendly era and think, did I miss something watching all those games with my Dodger-crazy best friend back then? We didn't go see the Dodgers because Don Sutton was starting. Hell, in 1974, Sutton wasn't even in the top 10 in WAR on his own team, and Messersmith and Marshall had much higher WAR, but 19-9 looked impressive to Cy Young voters.

CD Boogie likes this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I never buy the "not even the best pitcher/player on his own team" disqualifier. Many, many, many teams had two pitchers or position players who were/are HOF worthy on the same team at the same time.

I mean, was Lou Gehrig not worthy even though for most of his career Ruth was better? Al Simmons not worthy because Jimmy Foxx was better (or vice-versa)?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  6. The Big Ragu

Yeah, I have never heard a "best player on his team," thing, but that would be silly.

Of course anyone with eyes who watched baseball during the 20s and 30s thought Lou Gehrig was a Hall of Famer. It's looking at the player relative to his peers, for me. Who would anyone have thought was a better first baseman during that era than Gehrig?

Not that it's a hard and fast rule, but it makes a huge difference for me if I see a player finished high in the MVP or Cy Young vote for a number of years or was an all-star year after year. It at least tells you how he was regarded by people (relative to his peers) who were watching baseball at the time.

It's easy for people who have no context about the time period or never actually watched a player (relative to other players at the time) to look at some numbers on baseball reference and either make a player better than what people thought they were actually watching at the time, or diminish a player who was actually fairly well regarded during the time.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The Hall of Fame wasnt created until 1936, so by default this is incorrect ;)

dixiehack and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  8. The Big Ragu

True that!

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not to work @Della9250 's corners, but here's the Frick award list.
    20221005_115438.png
    Comment: It would break precedent, but Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper should be inducted at the same time. They've been the TV voices of the Giants for nearly 30 years and are inseparable off the field and in the booth.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

No worries -- I just got back from interviews and was going to get to this if someone didn't

It's obvious why they changed the Frick ballot setup -- that's a loaded ballot where you probably can't go wrong with any of them, and they finally realized that anyone who retired by the 70s has been picked over. You could just pick those 10 out of a hat and call it a decade of inductees

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Love me some Joe Castiglione. Just one of those great voices that makes you leave the game on, even when the Sox are getting plastered by a dozen runs.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Still think they should put Kevin Costner in.

Draft saved Draft deleted