1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 19, 2022.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Surprised Rolen got in - I wonder if we are now in the era of dispassionate numbers. But i see his comps in Abstrract, and it still doesn't really compute.

BartonK likes this.
  2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm OK with Rolen getting in, but as others have written, there are more deserving players who are still left out.

You can't tell the story of their era without Dale Murphy, Steve Garvey, Don Mattingly, Keith Hernandez and Dave Parker.

You can tell the story of his without Rolen.

TigerVols likes this.
  3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

People don’t have to shit on other players just because their favorite player from the 1980s didn’t make the Hall.

Troy Glaus? Really? Less than 40 bWAR. It’s not even a comparison.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's not as if he's championing Curt Blefary. Glaus was in the general ballpark. Less defense, more power, just like X-Hack said.

5. Regan MacNeil

Except he wasn't in the general ballpark. Rolen had almost twice the WAR and only played four more seasons. Defense is a thing that matters when you're not a 1B or DH.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Who's a random average CF with a good bat similar to Andruw Jones but no defense? Would that player be in the general ballpark?

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Which is part of why I don't get the rending of garments over Jeff Kent. Solid bat and glove when I saw him in San Francisco and nice numerically, but his mist remarkable achievement may have been his lack of motorcycle driving skills.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Well put!

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I agree, except in 2023 the kids will be saying "what's baseball?"

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Am I the only very old man here who thinks "defensive statistics" in baseball are a complete fiction?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Not as fictional as the reliability of the "eye test."

12. Regan MacNeil

But if we are going to use the "eye test," Rolen passes that defensively, too. Unless you never watched him play.

Azrael likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted