1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Contemporary Player Ballot is out.

Albert Belle, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Don Mattingly, Fred McGriff, Dale Murphy, Rafael Palmeiro and Curt Schilling

Good luck with that list

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Time to fix the joke that is a Hall of Fame without Bonds. I'm not saying it will happen, but it should.

jr/shotglass, Spartan Squad and JC like this.
  3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Not saying the should get the vote, but my gut says Murphy and Mattingly get the nods. They were “clean” and injuries detailed both of their careers.

TigerVols likes this.
  4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think it’s going to be McGriff and Schilling

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I still don’t get Mattingly’s exclusion. One of the best hitters of his day.

6. outofplace

We think they were clean. We don't know that anybody was clean.

Sea Bass and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Hence my quotation marks, which I first learned about in seventh grade when the teacher air quoted large parts of the JFK assassination story to us. I didn’t know what she was doing, but by her voice and the gestures I realized something was off.

But I digress.

8. outofplace

My bad. I missed the quotation marks. The whole thing just annoys me. Bonds was an ass and I don't doubt that he used PEDs, but those home runs still went over the fence and he still belongs in the Hall of Fame. So does Clemens.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

All of them do. Unless they actually failed an MLB drug test. Then they should be left out on stupidity alone.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Shorter peak than you'd think - six AS games, one MVP - and the Hall of Fame standard at 1B is really, really high. Of his 10 comparables on B-Ref.com, only 2 are in the Hall - Kirby Puckett and Tony Oliva - and the rest are "Hall of Very Good" guys of varying quality.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Not to beat this dead horse, but that's the way I've always looked at it. They might have taken the enhancements, but the hitters still had to have the eye-hand coordination and hitting knowledge to square up on MLB pitching and deposit the balls over the fence. And the pitchers did not succeed just out of pure athleticism.

Spartan Squad and JC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted