1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't either, except to the extent the Player's Union has a say in what gets banned and what doesn't; what gets enforced and what doesn't.

For what it's worth, baseball winked at amphetamine use, even after Ball Four, but didn't do much of anything about enforcement until the Mitchell Report.

Brock Calls Baseball's Drug Program Neither Preventive Nor Corrective (Published 1971)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This has been going on for a long time. Maybe it is time for a little impatience.

Of course, not everyone used, but the time to deal with that was when they were playing, not now. It is an abuse of the character clause, one that makes a mockery of the Hall of Fame. Of course, there are other things that made a mockery of it before, such as waiting until Mariano Rivera to have someone get in with a unanimous vote because some jackasses left inarguable Hall of Famers off their ballots for decades.

Azrael likes this.
  3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

“If you gave pitchers a pill that would guarantee they’d win 20 but take five years off their life they’d take it.”
    Jim Bouton
    Ball Four

Azrael likes this.
  4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Joe said he didn’t think either Trammell or Whitaker belonged
    But that was the narrative
    Trammell hustled, positioned himself perfectly and worked his ass off
    Whitaker was talented but he coasted and didn’t play hard
    Bullshit then, bullshit now

Fred siegle, X-Hack and maumann like this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think it has much to do with the character clause. At least not for me.

For me it means the numbers are untrustworthy.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

They don't release that until they get closer to the vote. it is obviously what people want to see to try and connect the dots

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The numbers are 100 percent trustworthy. They happened. Trying to deny them after the fact is where we start wading into bullshit.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Baseball is a numbers game.

Until we know how many extra base hits were a product of the Clenbuterol, and how many strikeouts we should attribute to HGH, those numbers aren't reliable. Lies, damn lies, statistics, etc.

I'm not advocating one approach or another for Cooperstown voters. But it's complicated.

And as someone with a vote for a different Hall of Fame, I'm empathetic and sympathetic to how hard it is to untangle performance enhancement after the fact.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It’s unknowable. Unquantifiable. An impossible standard to meet. Congratulations, you just erased 25 years of baseball.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I didn't.

The players did.

The players' union did.

MLB did.

The fans did.

Again, I don't have a dog in this fight, but it's pretty clear Hall voters are struggling to fairly assess and situate players from the Steroid Era.

Draft saved Draft deleted