1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Mar 3, 2023.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Didn't LSU also fuck up a woman's golf regional several years ago? Could have played at least one round, but they just called the whole thing off and let the seeded teams advance?

The NCAA needs to be in control of determining to play or not, not someone with a vested interest. If it's OK at game time, start the game.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There was a story from the Winston-Salem Journal that had some details, without any details. Basically said ESPN was being tight-lipped about it and had advised Wake and Alabama players and coaches against talking about it, and had a no comment for other media. Like you said, it's stunning that they aren't acknowledging it at all. I turned the game on right at the start and the announcers didn't even have a somber tone or a mention of the delay at the top of the broadcast.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess they were having trouble locating the family.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought the NCAA was in control when it comes to postseason events like this? The coaches and school officials, I'm sure, have some input, but doesn't the NCAA have the final say?

5. tapintoamerica

In fact, they never had a somber tone. If they were asked/told to pretend as if nothing had happened, they did an incredible job of it. You'd never guess from hearing anything -- start to finish -- that something terrible had happened.

Batman likes this.
  6. tapintoamerica

You'd think they NCAA would be the arbiter. Yet in the case of MLB, the home team -- not the umpiring crew -- has jurisdiction until the first pitch. At that point, control switches to the umpires.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, back on the field, TCU and Florida have punched their tickets to Omaha and LSU is kicking the ever-living shit out of Kentucky. They've hit home runs, are up 11-0, and Paul Skenes is on the mound with a low pitch count through five innings. I think the Tigers are looking pretty good in this one.

8. tapintoamerica

Oregon, one out from Omaha, induces a one-hopper to the second baseman, who boots it. Moments later, Oral Roberts lines a double right on the LF line and Trump University of Tulsa lives to play another day.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I haven't watched any of it, but that looks like it's been a hell of a series. Two walk-off wins, both high-scoring games, and now we go to a winner-take-all Game 3.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I wish it was better baseball. A ton of walks to both sides. Critical errors. In the last inning on a fly to right-center, the outfielders converged, the center fielder cut in front of the right fielder, then pulled his glove away. The ball hit the right fielders glove but he didn't catch it. The game would have ended with a double play, but the Oregon second baseball couldn't handle a hard-hit ball.

Batman likes this.
  11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Funny.

LSU-Weather-1.jpg

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted