1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Feb 13, 2023.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You use the pick on one of the qbs to up the ante if you don't get your price. See Chargers and Manning, Colts and Elway... If either Stroud or Young emerges as the consensus better QB, you take him. Or maybe work a deal with the Texans to take the one they don't want for a second-round pick or something. You'll still have the leverage with Fields and the QB. Best deal wins.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Then you’re locked into dealing with a team that has, 1. the desirable draft capital, and 2. took the player you wanted. Again, you’re removing all leverage by locking yourself into one team, maybe two.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The best plan is usually the simplest. If the Bears have decided to trade the pick, just do that. Don't bring Fields into it or draft a QB. Regan is right, the Bears would be narrowing the market for their pick by using it then trading it. In the examples Dan cited, the QBs in question had made it clear they didn't want to play for the team holding their rights. That's why Eli and Elway were traded.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do think there is some added value having the QB you expect to save your franchise walk out and put on YOUR tea1m cap for his official Goodell grip and grin - but desperation and seeing that QB in another team's cap might also get the owner on the phone all pissed off that you didn't get a deal done before and screw it, give the Bears the extra pick. We're talking about Irsay and Junior McNair and whomever else. The owners will be in the room on draft day - I just don't see a GM looking forward to a presser where he has to say "the price was too steep."
    And we do realize there is 15 min. or so between picks right? There is plenty of time after the Bears pick to make a deal. I don't think the Bears lose all leverage if they draft a QB - it may put more pressure on other teams - that's all I'm saying.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

If I'm Wentz, I go to my ranch in North Dakota and nobody ever hears from my three-time bust self ever again.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

10 minutes between picks.

7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Yeah he's made great money. He's also just 30 and doesn't have a lot of wear and tear past the ACL injury several years ago. By all accounts he handled his leadership role poorly and the reputation of being a shit teammate followed him. It follows a lot of people. Some, like Geno Smith most recently, take the heat for a few years and eventually get another opportunity.

The question can he walk into an organization as a backup QB that has to be one of the guys, that has to put in the work and actually win over coaches and teammates that have no reason to put him on the field. He has no more leverage and no more control over anything. He's just a dude looking for someone to take a chance on him. Someone will find out because he WAS on the trajectory of being a good quarterback at one time and he's still young enough that someone will believe that they can break him down and rebuild him as a guy that can play in the league again or at least as a top-end backup.

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

SKOAL!

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I would have bet anything that Wentz was considerably older than Geno as a rookie, But they both played as 23-year-olds (Wentz turned 24 at the tail end of the 2016 season, but still, it's basically a wash). That said, he doesn't strike me as a guy willing to put in the time--or who even HAS the time--to follow the Geno arc. Geno only had his rookie contract and a series of one-year minimumish deals before his big 2022 w/the Seahawks, so he sort of "had" to work. Carson of course has fuck you money for generations. And if it took Wentz as many years of clipboard-holding to get another crack at starting as it did Geno, he'd be 37 when he got his next shot. Even cutting that time frame in half...who is going to want to hand even a placeholder job to Carson Wentz nearing his mid-30s?

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I SAID SKOAL!!

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Carson Wentz has made a hundred million dollars? Why on earth wouldn't he just take his money and go do what pleases him instead of putting himself through more years in the league?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Because if he plays his cards right he can probably add another $50 million to that $100 million by the time he's 35, for doing little more than being a somewhat capable backup quarterback who rarely plays?
    Yes, $100 million is more money than he could ever spend. But if you knew someone would hand you a winning $5 million Powerball ticket every August for the next five years, and then never again after that, are you really going to say, "Naw, I'm good"?

Draft saved Draft deleted