1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Feb 13, 2023.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Two comments…

Did that seem like it could have been 30 minutes faster?

And when did ESPN stop announcing trade details?

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Can’t

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

A good agent serves as the layer between management and the player/client.

Think Jerry Maguire. The team tells HIM everything they don’t like about Tidwell and why they’re not offering more money. Agent absorbs the info, softens the blow and comes up with ways to help the client maximize

While that was a movie, that’s exactly how it’s supposed to work in real life. (The same in TV news for those of us with agents. I don’t have one anymore but did until 8 years ago.)

Plus, agents work through the off-field deals. I believe the NFLPA max is 4% for an agent. That’s easily worth it.

maumann likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not to mention the NIL stuff in college.

exmediahack likes this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Much better chance of a golden parachute when the time comes.

maumann and HanSenSE like this.
  6. DanOregon

One thing I'd like to hear on draft broadcasts and discussions - don't asky why a player has "fallen" in the draft. Ask why the reporting about where he'd be taken in the draft was so wrong.

sgreenwell, Liut and HanSenSE like this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

Not surprising with the more liberal transfer rules and greater concentration of talent among the top teams. College teams used to get most of their players from their immediate region, but now the staffs of the top teams to a "rough draft" of the NFL draft when handing out scholarships.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A news organization's "insider's" mock draft is not gospel. Good Tebow, he's in to make a hell of a lot of money no matter where he's drafted.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think the idea is to include guys who can play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense, but I've never fully understood the need to lump those guys together. T.J. Watt and Myles Garrett are both great edge rushers, but they do not play the same position.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

That's the point I gave up and switched to radio.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Have to make time for the boy-band twirps that prompted you and I to tune out.

Draft saved Draft deleted