1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Just down stream from the bridge is an island that splits the river for several hundred feet, and there is something apparently unique for trick kayaking about the south channel. The national championships were held there for three years once.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I-40/26 has been my part of my route from Indianapolis to family in Charleston SC for a couple decades, I remember one year we couldn't take it because of those rockslides. So they got the hillside fortified with better fencing and now the river takes out the other side. Sigh.

franticscribe likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

4. dixiehack

You may become more familiar than you ever wanted to with the West Virginia Turnpike.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yep, have taken that a couple times coming back from Myrtle Beach. And you can pull over at the rest stops and play blackjack on your phone /crossthread

6. dixiehack

Starting to see a lot of Facebook messages being passed along about out of towners trapped in rental cabins all over WNC who are desperately seeking info on a way out and are being told their best hope is to wait for helicopter rescue.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Lots of AT hikers are in trouble, as well.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Driftwood

My niece is a student at Western Carolina. Nobody has had contact with her since Thursday. I doubt she's been washed away. My guess is power and cell service in Cullohwee is down.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Canadian forecast model says the system that's about to roll into the GOMEX is going to be Doomsville.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Not that it’s at all important, but we have a college visit scheduled at App State in three weeks.

11. Driftwood

Well, another niece is an App State grad... nursing... played field hockey on a scholarship. Now she is a nurse practitioner and married to a Marine major.

12. Driftwood

Draft saved Draft deleted