1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I keep the Gulf Shores beach conditions text messages going all year. Those purple flags have been flying for almost two weeks now.

As for traffic, once we get across Mobile Bay it's all back roads from Daphne down to County Road 10 and pop out about 7 miles north of The Hangout. Much less stressful than bumper-to-bumper all the way from Mobile. Plus we can hit Billy's Seafood in Bon Secour for fresh shrimp for Saturday night.

maumann and Neutral Corner like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Nothing like boiling shrimp that came off a shrimp boat twelve hours ago.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am a 10 minute walk from the beach. The southwest wind that is baking Boston is keeping my neighborhood at a warm but no more 80. It's too early for hurricanes here. Water temperature barely over 60 out there. Of course, if we ever get one, we're completely screwed.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I think many varieties of "Well, that's never happened here" are off the table now.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Last big one here was in 1938. Cape is like five times as crowded now. As one distinguished local environmental scientist put it, "We basically live on a giant shifting pile of sand." Reassuring!

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

franticscribe and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. Driftwood

Looks like the cone has it turning over Mexico, but Texas will get some rain. I think there is already some storm surge flooding around Galveston.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That guy rarely misses.

And it is always a Surf Style.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You have to get there stupid early to take advantage, but the single best thing about Gulf Shores is you can park next to the actual public beach in a municipal lot. Not across the street. Not kinda close but you have to walk across a two-mile boardwalk over the dunes. Not three spots half covered in dingy sand by a hidden public access point the width of a No. 2 pencil and with security for the next-door condo development itching to tase you should a stiff wind blow you sideways onto their property line. It is glorious.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. Driftwood

I never have been - and likely won't - to the northern Gulf coast. I've been on the Texas coast and Florida's western shores but never to the Redneck Rivera. I'd like to see some of those places but not enough to make a special trip, I guess.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Hurricanes in CT are rare, but do occur. I would’ve thought that the Cape would be more susceptible, being out on the water. TIL.

12. Driftwood

Warm water is what fuels them, so I suspect by the time one would get there, the surface temps have dropped enough that they spin down.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted