1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 16, 2024.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

This is the last one for me. I;m waving the white flag when it comes to living in Florida.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I thought Andrew might be the tipping point but there are enough naive northerners enticed by the warmth of the sun to keep boosting the population. Until air conditioning, Florida was as inhospitable a place as you could imagine.

And the two major population centers on either side of the state (Bay Area/Miami metro) are overdue for a direct hit. Sort of like waiting for the Big Quake out west. Or Mount Rainier to blow. It's going to happen. Just a matter of when and what's left.

Driftwood likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The good news is Milton will be crossing waters churned up by Helene, so hopefully sea surface temps won't be as much a major fueling factor. But yeah, a landfalling hurricane directly on Tampa-St. Pete will not be good, even if only a Cat 1.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Central gulf is 85 today

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Nowhere is immune from extreme weather or natural disasters. Who would have thought the remnants of a Gulf hurricane would devastate Appalachia?

franticscribe and maumann like this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Hugo is another I think of that caused more damage inland than perhaps along the coast.

Driftwood likes this.
  8. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Serious question: Are the Florida beaches still nice? I haven't been since 1988 and the Fort Lauderdale/West Palm area had nice beaches then.
    I once had considered moving to Florida and was even accepted at UF. Now, I'm not even sure I want to visit the state.

maumann likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

When I was a kid I visited the Fort Lauderdale beach a couple of times and noted a couple of things. One: The cabanas on the beach all have their backs to the north and are a godsend when it's only in the 70s in February. Two: When there's a man-o-war alert, pay heed.

maumann likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The Panhandle beaches, particularly in the stretch east of Destin called 30A, are some of the prettiest anywhere. Definitely the easiest to walk on with smooth white sand.

11. Driftwood

My first hurricane!

maumann likes this.
  12. Driftwood

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted