1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 16, 2024.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That looks like it’s going awfully close to the ABC Islands. That doesn’t happen very often.

In fact, the last time I was in Aruba, I think someone said the last time a hurricane came close was more than a century ago.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Far from scientific, but data personally collected by me using my instaread cooking thermometer.
    Saturday, June 29 7:25 p.m.
    Mid Atlantic - 1 hour, 22 minutes before low tide
    Air temp: 82.8
    Water temp (measured in approx 10 inches): 87.4

maumann likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The projections I've seen suggest that Beryl will get an injection of dry air from South America and then run into upper-level wind shear.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That might explain why the models drop it to lower-'cane status later in the week. Then we'll see what happens when it gets to the Gulf bathtub.

5. Driftwood

Beryl is already an unprecedented Cat 4 with winds at 130. That means Cat 5 is in play. It's not expected to make landfall anywhere until morning. It won't lose much steam going across the patch of islands it will, so it will continue being a big boy all the way across the Caribbean.

6. Twirling Time

GFS model already has it aimed right at Corpus Christi. That isn't a good path.

ADD: The saving grace is all the models I see have it crossing the Yucatan, so it'll lose a lot of its punch.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024 at 1:39 PM
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's gonna be a long summer for folks who live on the Gulf Coast.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Bring on October.

9. Driftwood

Elvis sang Why Can't Every Day Be Like Christmas.
    I say why can't every month be October: Good weather, good fishing, hurricane threat is greatly diminished, oyster roasts, college football.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The bulk of the charts have it making US landfall between Brownsville and New Orleans. And as warm as the Gulf is, it will pick up steam pretty quickly after crossing the Yucatan.

I predict a strong Cat 3 between Corpus and Houston.

11. Driftwood

I don't know. We'll have to see. Most of the models I have have it downgrading by the time it hits the Yucatan, which will severely weaken it further. If it misses the Yucatan, then that's a different story.

12. Twirling Time

A lot of uncertainty 5-6 days out. The NOLA track is probably the worst-case scenario but, fortunately, is an outlier.

The models mostly agree it'll scrape past Jamaica and hit the Yucatan, but after that all bets are off.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted