1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 2, 2024.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Be sure and enjoy The Last Good Year.

Batman and Neutral Corner like this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I guess the SEC wants to make sure they can show off their new toys in Hoover, but single-elimination sucks for baseball. Or at least making it that way for the entire tournament. The oddball single-double-single format the SEC has been using is kind of fun. I'd have rather seen them find a way to expand that (maybe with a couple of extra or fewer byes) instead of a full-blown single-elimination format.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Boy, that's some crazy bullshit. Apparently they want to make sure their best teams hardly ever win the damn thing.

I imagine you'll probably see most of your top seed teams throw their top pitchers in Game 1, but after that just bring in a conga line from the bullpen-- no point in burning up outs from top pitchers in a tournament that doesn't matter if you win, so I'd guess second round action will be pretty much a full fledged tank fest.

Of course the flip side will be the NCAA selection committee will give about absolutely zero weight to the conference tourney results in making their selections.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  5. Starman

If I were the NCAA, I would ring up the head honchos of MLB, MiLB, NFHSA, and every other baseball organization in the world down to pee wee tee ball, and issue a joint statement:

You. Are. Banned. For. Life. No Reinstatement, No Appeal, No Return, Not Now, Not in 10 Years, Not Ever. Find Something Else To Do With Your Life. Go Away, Goodbye. Over and Out, Baseball.

PS: Hi Pete!!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I was this old when I found out there was wagering on college baseball.

7. Starman

What kind of fuckin fools would try to lay a $100,000 bet on a regular-season college baseball game, and NOT think it was gonna set off sirens all around the cyber world?

wicked, SixToe, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I never saw it on the books until last season. There's some money to be made in the midweek games. The odds are terrible, but the games are usually so lopsided that you can string together some ridiculous parlays.

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Great tributes pouring in. I enjoyed covering him.

Worth noting that FSU was already very good in baseball. Six CWS appearance and a runner-up in the 30ish years of the program that predated 11.

maumann likes this.
  11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Nebraska softball sensation Jordy Bahl announces she'll miss the rest of the season with knee injury

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The Wagner cousins, Luke and Cole, left Georgia in the offseason. In fact, Cole, the one-time LL World Series hero for Red Land (Pa.), planned on quitting baseball altogether before he rediscovered some love for the game and signed with Penn State.

Luke will be pitching for Purdue. Draftable repertoire, shaky command.

Draft saved Draft deleted