1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 2, 2024.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to defend Florida, because that record is really hard to do, but they are 30th in RPI.

Would I rather see College of Charleston at 41-14, which won its league but lost 6-4 to the No. 2 seed in the tourney final, be in? Yes, and their RPI is 42.

Is TCU better at 33-21 with an RPI of 39?

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

RPI can be manipulated, especially in leagues where you don't play everyone but get to figure everyone in your RPI. Winning games can't. Florida only won 28 games, had a losing conference record, a pretty below-average OOC record for an at-large selection, with losses to the only P5 teams they played OOC, and went 0-1 in its conference tourney.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

FWIW, Florida played 11 out of a possible 13 teams in its conference. I'm not sure how much a series against Alabama and Auburn would have changed it.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Power 5 is not a thing in baseball. Full stop.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If they had lost two of three to both, they'd have been under .500 overall. Might have been hard to take any team with a losing overall record as an at-large selection.
    One of the talking heads on the selection show was arguing that they should expand the field to 72 teams and begin the tournament with best-of-three series. Survivors, I presume, move to what we now call the regionals. At least I think that's what he was proposing.
    It's quaint that some believe expansion would help teams like the College of Charleston. Adding eight spots would only mean eight more spots for the SEC and ACC and perhaps the Big 12.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I live about 50 minutes from Santa Barbara, and with an NCAA regional fairly near, I'm thinking of taking in a game or two. Not having been to any of these, are tickets to these games a particularly tough get? (Obviously, it depends on the site). Would I need to get them ahead of time?

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think the Gauchos' park only seats about 1,000.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I just found out that one of the Birmingham Southern players is the kid in this video, shot when his father played for the White Sox. Pretty good if you've never seen it.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The ACC, SEC, Pac-12 and Big 12 are the top conferences in college baseball. They are P5 universities.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Guess who was key to them advancing …

Adam LaRoche and his son

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you. Now good luck convincing Cliff Godwin of East Carolina. The rants he would go on talking about what Power 5 schools got that ECU didn't went on for years. It seems like he has backed down from that stance.

But still, ECU had no business being a regional host. Wake Forest, which is the No. 2 seed in Greenville, and Duke had better cases.

Last edited: May 28, 2024
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Kind of depends on the school, the venue, and the other teams playing. The home team games are often tough tickets, but the others should have plenty of good seats available. San Diego might have enough fans to make a relatively short trip.

Draft saved Draft deleted