1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college baseball/softball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 2, 2024.

1. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

How many of you would trade a Stanford education for a Texas Tech education for 2 million dollars? I'm assuming whatever small amount of money might be available in pro softball would be available either way.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They teach the same laws of physics and mathematics at every school (assuming the student even attends in this era). Give me the $2 million to invest at age 20.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I was 20 a few decades ago. Had I somehow found a way to make $2 million, just about every cent of it would have been “invested” in having a good time!

Maybe kids are smarter these days …

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

How many Stanford dropouts do we hear about that go on to found startups and become Sillicon Valley stars? Go to Palo Alto for the connections then Lubbock for the funding sounds like shrewd thinking to me.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The difference isn't $2 million, though. She was going to get a 6-figure NIL at Stanford had she stayed.

Certainly $2 million is a ton of money, even after the 25-30% tax bite. Invest it, and she's set, because she's not going to make any money playing pro softball.

Again, I don't see the ROI for the benefactor. But it's their money, so, whatever.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Low six figures in the Bay Area (I don’t know the exact amount) can be the equivalent of $45k in the Texas Panhandle.

7. micropolitan guy

Very true. But then again, you're not waking up every morning in the Texas Panhandle.

But hey, her choice, best of luck, etc., etc.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

But that’s because of housing costs to a large degree. If you’re an an athlete on a full cost-of-attendance scholarship, your housing is covered.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2024
  9. micropolitan guy

There was an earthquake near Lubbock today. They are really going out of their way to make her feel right at home.

Twirling Time and HanSenSE like this.
  10. micropolitan guy

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

88? He looked like he was 88 in 1988.

Draft saved Draft deleted