1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college football offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 10, 2024.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Did he just miss seeing corn?

Liut likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He got tired explaining to his teammates what a touchdown was.

HanSenSE and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  3. dixiehack

Still no nine-game schedule. This will be the last time they can protect so-called secondary rivalries like Alabama-Tennessee and Auburn-Georgia on an annual basis without that change.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely ridiculous. You have all these teams in one league: So play everyone. And play nine games, you bunch of wimps.

Liut likes this.
  5. dixiehack

I refer you back to my comment from last June.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2-6 for bowl eligibility. And if you thought SEC scheduling was a joke before - I can see "the Committee" allowing more than one FCS win to count "since scheduling other P4 schools is so cumbersome.
    I would love to be a member of Congress and have the ADs and conference heads come to the Hill asking for help with the NIL rules. I'd bring out my list of things they would need to fix first. I mean - given the drastic makeover the powers that be have done on the sport - is there anything preventing them from putting in a "salary cap" for players and coaches? Transparency with a public document on all NIL and endorsement monies earned by football personnel? All teams play the same number of league games? Surprised the Big10 signed off on it.

7. dixiehack

6-6 teams making bowls is about to solve itself when programs start opting out of the December bowls to get a jump on mining the portal. It will look like the NIT checkouts we saw this week.

Michael_ Gee and Liut like this.
  8. DanOregon

First round games of the playoff are scheduled for the week after the conference championship games - so Army/Navy Game gets buried, correct? Or do they push that back another week? I have to think ESPN is going to cut at least six of the lowest-tier bowls loose (that featured G5 schools typically) widening the income divide further.

9. MileHigh

No, two weeks after conference championship games.

Conference championships: Dec. 7
    Army-Navy: Dec. 14
    First-round games: Dec. 20 (evening); Dec. 21 (early afternoon, late afternoon, evening)
    Quarterfinals: Dec. 31 (Fiesta Bowl); Jan. 1 (Peach Bowl, Rose Bowl, with sunset, Sugar Bowl)
    Semifinals: Jan. 9 (Orange Bowl); Jan. 10 (Cotton Bowl)
    National title: Jan. 20

For those Dec. 21 games, the NFL plays on that Saturday and usually those are ABC/ESPN games.

10. DanOregon

OK - but I do think ESPN is going to announce at least half a dozen bowl games are history pretty soon.

11. MileHigh

Probably. The losers of the first-round games don't then go to a bowl is my understanding. Last year, there were seven bowl games on the Saturday of what is now the first-round games.

12. dixiehack

Last year there were two Saturdays between Army-Navy and Christmas. I count a dozen bowls on those two dates, not including the Celebration Bowl. Either a lot of weeknights are going to have to double up games or the likes of 68 Ventures and Famous Toastery will have to find other ways to grab attention.

But I’ll cut a bitch that messes with the Pop Tart Bowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted