1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 NBA offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jun 19, 2024.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Gone fishing.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Heard on the Dan Patrick show it was likely a play by TNT to threaten litigation and get a payoff/and-or side deal for some games to keep the NBA on TNT around.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Can someone help me with an NBA salary cap question. The Nuggets did not seem to seriously try to resign one of their starters, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, who signed with Orlando for about twenty million a year and also dumped the salary of Reggie Jackson, who was was only making five million dollars a year. The official explanation was that the new collective bargaining agreement severely limits the flexibility of teams if they exceed the cap.

I guess. But in 2025-2026 the cap will increase by tens of millions of dollars due to the new television contract The Nuggets will need to resign Jamaal Murray and still pay KCP and be under the cap. Will the penalties the Nuggets would have received this year for keeping KCP be enforced next year when they should be OK under the cap? Or are the new collective bargaining rules just a lame excuse for the Kroenke's to be cheap?

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Teams that go over the tax apron multiple years in a row affects what they can do with trading future draft picks and also limits mid-level exceptions.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Signing KCP would have put them over the second apron, which is extremely punitive. It's almost impossible to make any kind of significant roster move over the apron.

Yes, the cap will go up next season, but next year the Nuggets have to deal with Jamal Murray and Aaron Gordon. Keeping KCP would make that much harder.

They wanted to keep him, but it would have had pretty serious ramifications down the line, and they just weren't willing to do that for a fifth starter.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

https://www.kgw.com/article/sports/...orts/283-03438dbb-62a7-4fac-a95b-3375b04ded90

I find it fascinating seeing how many pro teams are abandoning cable. It was a year ago that the Pac-12 said no to an Apple TV deal that would keep the conference together and pay up to $30m per team - and now everyone is jumping on the streaming bandwagon. The Pac-12 used to be ahead of the curve on so much, I can't help but think being "behind the curve" on so much in the last 20 years was what doomed the conference.

MileHigh likes this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I was on a table with an obvious newbie a month ago and he didn't last two double-deck shoes. Think hitting 16 with a 5 up. Double a hard 13 with a 6 showing. I just pulled my chips back, watched the disaster unfold and he was gone before he got a drink.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted