1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 NHL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Liut, Jun 25, 2024.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Reilly Smith to the Rangers for draft picks and 25 percent of his salary retained by Pittsburgh.

It's only $3.75 million (I was having a heart attack because everyone was reporting it for more than a half hour without the salary retention) and it only puts them on the hook for one year. At the same time, he's not a 1RW, and by the time they actually put some stability there, Zibanejad and Kreider are going to be in their 40s.

2. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Cap is going up, but on most deals the term is too much. The best way to win the free agency is by not playing.

3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

In a bit of a news dump, the league announced the reinstatement of Stan Bowman, Joel Quenneville and Al MacIsaac.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And Bowman going to the old boy network heaven in Edmonton, likely. Those media dinosaurs will fawn all over him.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

God that’s an overpay, but that’s July 1st for almost every team.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Probably.

We've been clamoring for a new team around Ovechkin, and the McClellan has certainly obliged. I think we've seen the last of Oshie, who may not officially retire but will be on LTIR next season, along with Backstrom. Ovechkin, Wilson, Carlson are all that's left from the 2018 Cup winner, and I'm good with that. Time for some fresh blood. I also like the two-year show-me deal they gave McMichael, who took a big step last season.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

EDM has been the league's PeePaw's Team for a while. This doesn't help.

Draft saved Draft deleted