1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Is it me, or did it look like McIntyre had to keep from laughing when those “Larry” chants broke out?

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Damn. Pat missed Raw because his father-in-law died suddenly Monday, following the radio show, but before he had to go to Raw.

It's fortunate Raw was in his own backyard, and he wasn't on a jet to another town when he heard the news from his wife.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
  3. nietsroob17

Damn. More tragic news around WWE.

I wonder if this might cause WWE to put a pause on the Bloodline 2.0 stuff this Friday. Just seems to be a little crass (yes, I know it's pro wrestling) for Solo to be talking about him being the new tribal chief and all that, with one of the patriarchs of the whole Samoan dynasty -- and arguably one of the OG Tribal Chiefs -- dying.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He was near the end of his career when I first started watching wrestling. He and Kamala (RIP) were one of the more crazier tag teams out there. RIP.

5. nietsroob17

Speaking of more figurative wrestling deaths, watched the finale of the WCW doc.

I think Bischoff came out the best of all the suspects. Yes, he got too big for his britches sometimes, but he deserved credit for the success it experienced, and I think it's clear he wanted the company to survive in the end.

I think it was just a matter of Ted's influence on the company being marginalized so much, coupled with the executive meddling and all the conspiring against the so-called stench of wrestling.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

It would be really interesting to see some kind of deep dive on what followed on TNT/TBS and if the decision to dump wrestling actually paid off.

The Closer was really successful but I remember a lot of crap ass, knock off dramas that bombed in the 2000s. Some Treat Williams vehicle that sucked and same for Holly Hunter. TNT never hit the prestige FX had in the era.

While USA kept wrestling and had a bunch of low calorie, less serious hits like Suits, Burn Notice, Psych, etc.

But eventually Turner got the NBA so did the decks need to be clear for that?

So which network really got it right?

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Network accounting is all over the place, but I suspect TNT did fine for itself. They still had the NBA, and the thing about those procedurals is that they're all cheap and relatively quick to produce. (I think I never noticed until Griffin Newman on Blank Check brought it up - Watch how still actors are in many scenes of L&O spinoffs and NCIS. It's so that everything is much easier from a continuity and production standpoint, and they just mow through pages of script each day.) Wrestling has always done well with raw viewer numbers, but not always great when it comes to demos for advertising, and it has higher production costs and more "this could go really bad!" potential than other programming.

ETA: Speaking of, my wife is interested in doing a Rizzoli and Isles watch, of all things, because she vaguely remembers liking it back in the day. I mostly knew that show as MILF Detectives, because it starred Sasha Alexander and Angie Harmon.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Forgot Rizzoli that’s a winner for TNT

I suspect pro-WCW folk could say all those shows has lower rating and buzz but pro-Turner would say they sold as many or more ads for being respectable content.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How did Robin Hood do?

10. nietsroob17

From being a step above a female Hornswoggle, to one of the greatest female superstars in wrestling history.

11. nietsroob17

12. nietsroob17

A Peppa Pig reference in pro wrestling. Bless you, Mark Briscoe.

Draft saved Draft deleted