1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2024.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Most of Dynamite had good pacing and was a lot of fun to watch. Felt like a New Japan show (in fact, it felt like half of New Japan stormed through the forbidden door tonight).

Strickland-Ospreay/Gates of Agony felt like it was grafted on from another promotion entirely, and was not nearly as enjoyable.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That said, the Forbidden Door card is a mess. Not nearly enough inter-federation matches and too many "Hey we have this storyline going, so throw a NJPW or CMLL guy in to tag with the AEW guys."

ZSJ vs. Orange Cassidy, Danielson vs. Takagi, Mox vs. Naito, MJF vs. Hechicero and the two women's matches (Mercedes vs. Vaquer and Toni Storm vs. Shirakawa) are the way that PPV should be booked. Not AEW, AEW, AEW vs. AEW, AEW, NJPW trios match or a AEW vs. AEW vs. AEW vs. AEW vs. AEW vs. NJPW ladder match.

4. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I think part of it is them being backed into a bit of a corner, because a bunch of the guys they previously had from the other side of the door are now on the AEW payroll -- Jay White, Ospreay, Kyle Fletcher, Mark Davis, Okada, Shibata.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024
  5. nietsroob17

That'll do it. Mia Yim is now the final survivor of Retribution.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh, sure, that's a big part of it.

They just announced Lucha Bros + Mistico vs. Yota Tsuji, Titan and Takahasi for Zero Hour. That's the kind of Forbidden Door content I want to see.

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Are we allowed to be frustrated that Okada is basically being booked as Ron Simmons with the word bitch instead of damn?

This is the best wrestler on the planet, I’m told?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. nietsroob17

For all the good news and heart-warming stories, SGW trying its best to jump the shark. I'm sure the kid was OK, but that was horrible image to show.

9. nietsroob17

Not trying to belittle or discredit her, but seeing Candice LeRae take the forefront over Jade and Tiffany is certainly a choice.

10. nietsroob17

So, when do we get the Knight/Brunson vs. Paul/Halliburton PLE match, a la Malone and Rodman?

Interesting they let Knight pin Paul and not have Escobar take it. But I guess it does play well into the future US title match.

And why the hell does the screen keep going black?

11. nietsroob17

It should be no surprise by this point, but a wonderful tribute video for Sika.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Because the crowd (or someone in the ring) is cursing, and instead of brief mutes Fox cuts the feed entirely. When the Rock was cutting promos before Wrestlemania they kept doing it. Out of a 30-minute promo I think the screen was black for about five minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted