1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd attribute it more to rust. I don't think he had a major injury late in his career, did he?
    He's just been relying on muscle memory and playing the hits in his limited appearances because that's all he's had to do. And to be fair, that's what those matches called for. He was getting the nostalgia pop, not trying to put on 30-minute Meltzer classics.
    If he's back as a full-timer, I'm sure he'll put in the kind of effort required to go out on a high note. He's always been the type that rises to those kinds of mental challenges.
    I just hope he stays healthy all the way through and does get to finish on his terms like Sting did.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I remain perplexed that these people are having press conferences after the conclusion of scripted events.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I hope the Cena tour looks more like “John Cena US Open challenge” Cena than what we’ve gotten recently.

his last few runs have been, to be blunt, wastes of time. Theory, Solo, yuck and yuck. The Reigns feued was OK but besides that we’re talking pre-pandemic for his last great stuff. And the Taker Mania was awful too. He hasn’t had a good Mania match since when? Rusev 10 years ago?

And by good I mean an important upper card story worth investing in, not the match quality (accepting that Bray in Tampa may well have been but got COVID’d)

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

To piggyback off your last point, could there be a Cena-Wyatt6 storyline that incorporates the match that never happened? Ties up a loose end, and they can’t torment Shorty G forever.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think Cena kinda addressed that last night when he threw the challenge out to the locker room.

The feud with Theory was a waste as Theory is nowhere near the main event scene. The Solo feud helped briefly, but other than the brief table spot at WM, it didn’t really do much for Solo. He’s more moved up due to the absence of Roman.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't think I want him anywhere near the Wyatts. That feels like a storyline that would drag down, in terms of mood and time, what should be a more upbeat and fun run for everyone. A Cena-Wyatts feud seems like something that would take three months, and then he comes out in a weird place they have to figure out how to pivot from.

I think the general path is obvious. A strong showing at the Rumble, if not a victory, or a win at Elimination Chamber that gets him a title shot at Wrestlemania. They get the belt on him there to break the record and give him a brief run until Summerslam. Or, he could win next year's MITB and cash in right away since he doesn't have time to waste, win it, and then be a transitional champion to pass the baton to someone else.
    Then he winds down with a greatest hits tour — a mini-feud or some one-off matches with his old rivals Orton, Punk and Owens, perhaps a banger against Cody or Rollins, leading up to the retirement match at what I assume would be Survivor Series. Unless they push it to whatever the December PPV is now to goose a number in what's normally a lull.

7. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Not sure how this who disgruntled worker angle with Brooks Jensen in NXT will end up, but I'm intrigued. Love this post (if you watched "Young Rock," you'll get the reference).

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I think I lean towards keeping Cena away from the Wyatt6. But if Bo kind of has this unmasked meta character that goes along with Howdy that evolves by next spring….. man Cena could do some good work with that. But I do agree, no spooky shit needed.

He’s never faced this version of Cody, that would be special. He’s got a LOT of history with Rollins, Owens. Then obviously they can re-visit Punk, Styles and Orton.

He’s never faced Gunther or McIntyre.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Only problem is he said ‘Mania is his last match.

I like him working with the Wyatt6. Putting them over would be a great final act.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I didn't see the promo, but in the presser he said he was staying through the end of 2025 and working 30 to 40 dates. He clarified it'll be his last Wrestlemania, not that Wrestlemania will be his last match.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Interesting phrasing from Adam Pearce in regards to McIntyre/Punk.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So much cheesy awesomeness packed into 30-something seconds.

Baron Scicluna and JRoyal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted