1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2024.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My bad, I didn’t see that part.

I stand by the Wyatts idea. He shouldn’t work with people who don’t need the rub. Possible exception: A blowoff match with Punk, because, damn, they’re awesome together.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

And that's how a Canadian heel avoids the bizarro world reaction and still gets booed in Canada.

JRoyal likes this.
  3. nietsroob17

Hendry is going to singlehandedly unite the entire pro wrestling industry.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Who said his name?

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

It’s perfect for the storyline, though. McIntyre wins the belt, there’s Punk getting involved before Priest cashes in the briefcase. McIntyre thinks he has Priest beat to win back the belt, in Scotland no less, but there’s Punk in a referee’s shirt. McIntyre thinks he’s going to win the belt back with the briefcase, there’s Punk, ruining the cash-in.

I get that they couldn’t just booked it as a triple-threat match, but it’s amusing that they keep having Punk ruining everything for Drew. Does the blowoff match come at SummerSlam? Will Punk spoil McIntyre’s chances at winning the Royal Runble? Will this be a long-term booking to WrestleMania? Would it be McIntyre chasing Punk’s belt and finally avenging a year of misery at WM?

Yes, Rollins is there. But I like wherever this is going with Drew and Punk.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I think for me, Punk/McIntyre is already at an apex. This didn’t top what Punk did to him at Clash at the Castle.

Nothing could, really, if the order of the PLE’s was reversed it would have been a natural escalation….. but MITB just wasn’t on the level of Clash as far as Punk screwing Drew between the crowd and the creativity of the ref spot.

I’ve been ready to see Punk/Drew for 6 months, MITB felt like a stall just because the match is slated for Summerslam not July

Oz likes this.
  7. nietsroob17

Gotten a chance to see a lot of the highlights from NXT last night, and that might've been the best NXT show of the post-Takeover era, period.

Trick Williams could be a future linchpin of the company. Je'Veon Evans and Sol Ruca are absolute freaks of nature. Roxanne Perez has killed it since her turn into the neurotic heel. Hell, I'm even digging Ava's role as the GM. The stuff she did with Joe Gacy's stable was not good to say the least (and reeked of nepo baby benefits), but she's really found her niche now, like Pearce and Aldis on the main shows. Even someone on the periphery like Arianna Grace has done great with the charisma and comedy. I'd love to see a bit with her dad, considering the NXT/TNA alliance.

NXT had a lot of hiccups bordering on some downright bad content when it first transitioned into the Nickelodeon colors with the meddling from Vince and Pritchard, but the brand's been on an absolute tear lately.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

9. nietsroob17

Started listening to Undertaker's YouTube show with Godfather, and they mentioned a promo from when they were a greener than grass tag team in Memphis in the late '80s. Wow, is it jarring to see Taker in anything but what he became.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  10. nietsroob17

11. nietsroob17

Never forget the Steveson brothers' legendary WWE tenures.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I know it’s a longtime common pro wrestling trope, but the whole “lemme tell you somethin’ “ always amuses me. Why do they need someone to let them tell them something. Just tell them.

Reminds me of a line in Lawler’s book, where the promoter/announcer ran off a long list of things Lawler was planning to do to his opponent, then handed the mic to Lawler and told him to tell the fans what he was going to do. Jerry replied, “why? You’ve already said everything.” The promoter/annooubcet flipped his lid with Lawler.

Draft saved Draft deleted