1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah. Some onions are getting cut.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've referenced and linked to this site a bunch of times over the years, but the recent hype on the "Death of WCW" series got me thinking about it again.
    DDT Digest was one of the very first internet sites I ever discovered and frequented in the mid-1990s. It was a fan site, operated by a guy named Bill. He (and a few others) would post weekly recaps of all the WCW shows along with the occasional feature. Amazingly, the site still exists in 2024 — and it looks just like it did in 2001. Bill has purposefully maintained the domain as a tribute to WCW and now it's like a prehistoric insect trapped in amber in so many ways. Besides having all of the content still up, he never redesigned the site. So it's a time capsule of both WCW's heyday and simplistic late 90s/early 2000s web design. If you want to show your kids what the internet was like in 1999, this is the place.

DDT Digest eventually had recaps of most of the televised shows in NWA/WCW from 1985 on through to the bitter end in 2001. Reading the FAQ, it looks like the last new content was some recaps from the 80s that were added in the 2006-08 range.
    I was reading a couple of them from milestone episodes of Nitro and PPVs, like Bash at the Beach '96 and the last couple of Nitros, and it was interesting to read some of the real-time reactions. If you're bored or looking for something to read whilst on the toilet, this might be a fun nostalgia trip.

DDT Digest

WCW Television, Pay Per View, and House Show Reports

nietsroob17 likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Man, I forgot how bad that final Nitro was. Less than 8 minutes for the Sting-Flair match that ended WCW is horrible booking.

4. Baron Scicluna

Yep, I probably spent a lot of time at my local library’s dial-up internet computers reading those reviews.

Journalism-related, I remember a site called NewsMait, in which journalists posted anonymous online comments on what it was like to work at their papers. I still remember one commenter referring to his executive editor as “Little Hitler.” The site caused quite a stir in journalism circles circa 1998 or so. The guy eventually gave up on running the site because he had no time.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Didn’t Flair say he was in terrible shape and barely made it through the match as it was? And that’s why he wrestled with a T-shirt on?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think so. But looking at that site, that match was the longest one of the night. They had multiple 3-5 minute matches. So WCW invented WWE Speed!

Batman likes this.
  7. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

DDT Digest was one of my favorites in my fledgling days of being a wrestling fan -- especially being a WCW loyalist as a teen in the Atlanta area.

Batman likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Uh, oh. Orton just told Cody he always has his back.

You know what that means.

9. nietsroob17

Hate to see Ciampa turn heel already. Got to be the only explanation for wearing the Dunkin' gear.

Wild beatdown by Fatu on DIY. Just hope it doesn't mean they're already going to job them out to the lesser guys of Bloodline 2.0.

10. nietsroob17

Fatu is an absolute monster, and Solo is doing fine enough as the figurehead. But I don't really see much out of the Tongans.

I know they were a great tag team elsewhere, but when I saw Randy handling them (before Fatu evened the odds), it gave me vibes of Randy having his way with the Bollywood Boyz when he was feuding with Jinder.

If we're getting Cody and Solo in Cleveland, where does Roman fit in? He returns then to screw over Solo?

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That segment had my brain spinning how things might go. Could it be true that he does have Cody’s back after The Bloodline business is done … because he doesn’t want Cena to set the record for title reigns, so we get Orton-Cena down the line? Orton loses, we get Rhodes-Cena, Cody retains, only to have Roman make his return in time for WM season.

No clue, but fun to think of the possibilities with Cena back for one more run and Roman being a total wild card.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I fear the Tongans will destroy DIY and legitimize themselves by taking the tag titles in the very near future

Draft saved Draft deleted