1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Continuous Journey: 2024 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2024.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Chuck Noll once said, "Greatness is not a destination, but a continuous journey." Based on everything I've read and heard about Noll, he probably said it five minutes after one of his team's Super Bowl victories. Of course, there is no offseason for NFL news, so why not get on with the thread?

Speaking of former Steelers, does anybody want a crappy backup quarterback? Pittsburgh cut Mitchell Trubisky, offensive tackle Chuks Okorafor, and punter Pressley Harvin today. Trubisky was terrible when filling in after Kenny Pickett was injured this season.

Okorafor was a starter for three years and the first seven games of the 2023 season. The official word when he was benched was that it was for comments he made about the coaching of the offense during their loss to the Jaguars. First-round pick Broderick Jones made sure Okorafor stayed on the bench.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Hope you’re ready for Justin Fields in Pgh. I’m not sure I am.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Seventy-three days until the Bears pick the wrong quarterback. Again. I kind of hope they like someone other than Williams and acquire more high-value draft capital. He's stockpiling more red flags than a Gulf Coast hurricane station.

Batman and maumann like this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You have a funny way of spelling Ryan Tannehill.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

TigerVols likes this.
  6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Speaking of blogs, the latest wish making the rounds is that the Bears take Brock Bowers with their second first-round pick. I would be surprised if they don't take one of the top tackles if they stay at 9. Even moreso than a WR. I can't see them taking a tight end in the first round. Even if they trade back from 9.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That seems a hell of a lot more likely. The best option would probably be to re-sign Mason Rudolph and let him compete with Kenny Pickett. If Pickett can't beat him out and take a big step forward in 2024, it's time to start looking at making a bigger splash in a trade or draft their next attempt at a long-term starter.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Brock Bowers sounds like a pal of Dirk Diggler's on Boogie Nights.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's gonna be a long two plus months of useless speculation in these parts about the Pats. Unfortunately for them, some of their players worth keeping are free agents. The wideout and tackle free agent cupboards are pretty bare. So we'll have endless arguments about the number three pick. FWIW, I researched the history of quarterbacks taken with the third pick. Not a pretty picture. Matt Ryan and Steve McNair are the best of a bunch that includes some real whiffs, Trey Lance the latest, Akili Smith the worst, unless you count Joey Harrington. Oh, by the way, anybody want Mac Jones? Don't all speak at once!

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The Belichick culture remains, and with a defensive disciple as the new coach, I would bet the Patriots trade down and let someone else pick the last of the top-rated quarterbacks.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I'm a junkie, so all drafts are interesting to me. But this year especially with the top spots occupied by my favorite team, my home market team and the post-Belichick Patriots.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, I hear you can find a Hall of Famer in the sixth round!

Draft saved Draft deleted