1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new exhibit joins the Titanic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't one of the "Airport" sequels (maybe "Airport '77"?) involve a plane crashing into the ocean and the passengers being trapped underwater?

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

True. Except the wreck of the Titanic, and the disappearance of this vessel, are nowhere near the coast of the United States.

My nephew is in the Coast Guard, and has served in Bahrain and is now posted in Taiwan. The words "mission creep" seem appropriate.

Stockton Rush sounds like an SEC quarterback.

Driftwood and Batman like this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Howard Jarvis.

maumann likes this.
  4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

So far we've got Stockton Rush sounding like the name of a guy who runs deep sea expeditions for really rich people with a death wish as well as...

--a really shitty Mountain Dew flavor
    --an Arena Football team
    --a travel softball team
    --a Trumpist host on Fox News
    --an SEC quarterback

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The day after my mom died unexpectedly in 2011, I agreed for the four letter to cover the unveiling of Taylor Made’s new all white driver at a Golf Smith in Manhattan, with Martin Kaymer and Sergio Garcia slated to demonstrate it in a makeshift outdoor range. Who shows up? Donald Trump, who I felt obligated to interview with my FlipCam. I was introduced to him as a reporter with the four letter network. Cordial as hell, answering my questions — till he took note of the FlipCam and asked if this was going on TV. I said it was definitely going on the website, but TBD on TV. He said fuck you, interview over and walked away.

I didn’t tell anyone that story for years.

I covered a throwaway golf promo bc I wanted to not think about my mom’s death, ended up getting humiliated by 45 and vowing to tell as many people as possible what a piece of shit he is. But I wasnt making him or I the story right then or anytime soon; the story I was trying to tell myself, to flesh out, was what now after the death of my mother, the biggest supporter of me and who I was, still am.

This Titanic tragedy stepson? He had every right to go to Blink-182, but sharing that on social media — which he shouldnt have done bc it’s a very personal, private decision about grief — demonstrated how social media is not reality. He’s getting rightfully crushed by strangers, whose approval or feedback he should never have been courting in the first place.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

True. I was just referring to what the ones closer to home, especially the ones based in Florida, do every single day. If they find a boat full of refugees they're not letting them drown. They might arrest and deport them in accordance with immigration law, but they are definitely fishing them out of the water and doing everything they can to save as many as they can.
    I think the tweet Azrael pulled was referencing the recent incident in Greece where as many as 500 refugees drowned. It was an apparent human smuggling operation, with a grossly overloaded boat, and there are accusations that the Greek coast guard looked the other way. This was NOT the U.S. Coast Guard.

Greece boat disaster: BBC investigation casts doubt on coastguard's claims

micropolitan guy likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If you want some amusement, go to Stonekettle's twitter. He was Navy and Coast Guard, and has shared some knowledge / his opinion re the submersible. The amonnt of argument and mansplaining he's getting from (and his increasingly irritable responses to) self appointed deep sea rescue experts are pretty amusing.

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Ten pages so far of classic SJ sardonicism. I love this place.

[​IMG]

9. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

He died doing what he loved?

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

An absolutely perfect post after @maumann's post about this being a classic SJ thread. 10/10, no notes.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The sub is a 6 (miles underwater)?

maumann and Batman like this.
  12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted