1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new exhibit joins the Titanic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Inky_Wretch and Batman like this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My theory on Hunley is after completing their mission and trying to get back more or less on the surface, they opened the hatch for ventilation or visibility, a wave crashed over the bow, and they were instantly swamped. There was no easy egress from the thing. It was their coffin the minute they volunteered for the job. Heck, the first crew died like that with the thing tied to or close to the dock.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Seems as if jabs might have landed in earlier rounds.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I understand where you're coming from. I can say from my experience as well as my family when we lost my sister and her family, yes, it's a tiny bit easier knowing they pretty much died instantly and there was no suffering.

Having long talks with sheriff's and NTSB investigators and coroners, having been to the crash site 10 months later and them showing myself and a few others where the crash happened, how it happened, we -- and they -- are convinced not only did they die instantly, but they didn't see it coming. Or if they did, maybe less than a second because the plane clipped some trees before crashing. My sister texted my mom a couple of minutes before they went off radar to say they were turning around because of weather. There was no sense of panic onboard.

But the crash? Yeah, they were gone instantly, knowing the size debris field, the high impact of the crash and where they found the remains of the bodies.

Of COURSE it's still a catastrophic event that completely devastated us (and still does). But knowing it was over in an instant and the panic and suffering was minimal to almost miniscule, yeah, if it had to happen, then yes, it beats the alternative of being up on the mountain for 16 hours suffering.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If I get struck by lightning, it might be at the request of Gordon Lightfoot.

The story goes round from the Internet on down
    ‘Bout the tube boat they’re calling the Titian
    North Atlantic’s cold depths, ancient souls in their crypts
    Should be more than enough to be frightened
    With payments in store, two hundred fifty thousand or more
    Safety standards and codes were exempted
    The sea’s strong cold hand smashed them flat like a can
    They proved to have more money than wisdom

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Driftwood likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm sure they told people before. But word never got out to the general public and/or nobody cared. I mean, why would the general public care about it before it happened?

And it turns out that woman DID save the 250K for her retirement.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Just frigging brilliant.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

wicked likes this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Plausible deniability.

“Nah, we don’t have a super duper top secret listening posts all along the ocean floor. That Red October stuff was fiction.”

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted