1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new exhibit joins the Titanic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The Titanic somehow starting WWIII 110 years later would be quite an extended legacy.

maumann likes this.
  2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

While the capabilities and limitations are not public, the fact that we (and other countries) have static under sea listening posts is not secret.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Aren't there stories from the Cold War of us hearing a specific ship start its engines in a port in England, at a listening post in New York?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you ever want to read a great book about the use of subs to spy during the cold war, check out Blind Man's Bluff.

Liut likes this.
  5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm going to say yes.

What makes you say this? It's BS. I swear, people must be sick. No wonder racism never stops, because apparently, it has to be the reason for everything...

This rescue/recovery job occurred because it was an unusual event, could only be done with specialized efforts, and answers were being sought -- just as happens with any plane crash into the ocean, any Coast Guard call, or even a call to the fire department.

And what did it actually "cost" anybody, other than money?

We are supposed to help each other.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was being facetious.

swingline and Liut like this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Oh. Good. I'm sorry. I'm really starting to lose my sense of things around here.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Starting?

franticscribe and Slacker like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do find it fascinating that this story has been adapted for the the "left/right" age. Listening to a righty talker deriding lefties for "cheering" the deaths of rich people, "because they hate the rich so much" - didn't stop the guy from ripping Stockton Rush for not having experienced former Navy sub people involved in the design team and instead hiring younger people because he wanted to be "inspriational." Heard elsewhere Oceangate described as "woke."

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Oceangate was "woke" because it wanted to hire younger, presumably more docile, employees who wouldn't rock the boat (pun intended).

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My ship's primary job was anti-submarine warfare. That's a fancy way of saying we chased Soviet subs.
    Even back in the good old days, yeah, we could hear stuff under water. It's hard telling what modern tech could do.

gingerbread likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted