1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new exhibit joins the Titanic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Separate thread. :)

Great idea - thanks.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I still think of myself as 70 pounds lighter and 20 years younger... until I look in the mirror. And then I scream.

PaperDoll and dixiehack like this.
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't know that she looks exactly like me, or me like her, but the person I have always suggested should play me if a movie were made about me was Meg Ryan.

And several people have agreed, also saying they could see that. Just something about us. Guess I should have waited for the separate thread, though?

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

What Celebrity do people think you look like? | Page 2 | SportsJournalists.com

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

One of the submersibles that found some of the wreckage is based in my little WNY hometown. I wonder if they plunged the depths of Cazenovia Creek or the Sinking Ponds.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Today I went to the Titanic exhibition that’s currently set up on 14th St. in NYC. 90-minute audio tour with lots of pictures and exhibits. It was really good. Really does a good job of telling the stories of many of the individual passengers, which have easily gotten lost over the last century. It’s not as raw or as horrifying as the 9-11 museum since you don’t hear the words of the victims in their final moments (though there are audio clips of survivors), but it’s definitely emotional. And in one of the final rooms are lists of every victim and you can see how many entire families were wiped out, including a family of 11.

Near the end there’s a room about the discovery of the wreckage in 1985, including audio of the crew when they came upon it. But the videos they show are courtesy of OceanGate and their trips down to the wreckage and there is also signage for the company in that area. Sitting there watching the (very cool) videos they took and then realizing what happened to the poor people on board after just hearing about so many of those who died a century ago…I don’t know, it was all very moving.

UNCGrad, Driftwood and Inky_Wretch like this.
  8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The end was likely thankfully instantaneous and painless for the Titan victims. Unlike the thousand plus who plunged into shivering waters and drowned.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah, that implosion would be about as instantaneous a death as you could possibly get.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm quite certain you are right that was instantaneous, unless they started hearing it cracking and had a few seconds of warning that it was coming.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I watched this last night, and it's pretty good.
    I have and will continue to take calculated risks in my life. If I trust my equipment and ability, I do things from time to time that maybe others wouldn't. I would never put other people in danger, though. This was just stupidity.
    James Cameron has some weird little hands.

Draft saved Draft deleted