1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new exhibit joins the Titanic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

They could have taken some brisket or jerky on the trip. The head on the sub would have been clean and no waiting.

TowelWaver likes this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Don’t do well at 13,000 feet
    But I’m pretty good at drinking beer

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I remember the Russian sub that blew up about 25 years ago and I thought, damn, I do not want to go that way.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Are you arguing that because people of means are aboard we shouldn’t attempt a rescue?

7. Driftwood

I would not authorize millions of dollars and thousands of man hours to look for this sub.
    1. It's a lost cause. It was a lost cause the minute it happened. They're dead.
    2. They know what they signed up for.

It's not like it's a child who accidentally wandered off from a camp site.

SixToe and Inky_Wretch like this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, from everything I've been able to read/watch about this, even if they're able to locate the vessel, it's too deep for any sort of rescue mission. Navy submarines can't dive that deep.

9. Driftwood

When I was in the Navy, one of my jobs involved launching and landing helicopters.
    We were at sea off the coast of Florida/Bahamas. We got an SOS from a cruise ship that a passenger had fallen overboard. We go balls to the wall to get to the area. We launch our helo. The Coast Guard comes in with two more. The entire ship is topside searching for someone in the water. A U.S. Navy warship spends 6-8 hours making circles in the ocean looking for someone. We are recovering, refueling, and launching the helos constantly.
    Eventually, the cruise ship comes on the radio, "U.S. Navy. U.S. Coast Guard. Thank you for your assistance. All passengers are accounted for. The overboard was reported by a crew member with a mental disorder."
    One of the Coastie helos radioed back to us on the bridge, "Uhhh, we recommend you open fire on the ship."

gingerbread, TowelWaver, Liut and 8 others like this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not "arguing" anything.

Just pointing out that a rescue effort involving this many ships and planes will cost millions of taxpayer dollars.

To recover a private, for-profit one-off submersible certified by no agency or state or country.

In fact, there's been a movement the last few years toward charging people for their own rescue.

The Cost Of Rescuing Climbers On Mt Everest – Forestry Nepal

You Got Lost and Had to Be Rescued. Should You Pay? (Published 2021)

When adventures go wrong: Should we pay to be rescued?

Breaking News, Analysis, Politics, Blogs, News Photos, Video, Tech Reviews - TIME.com

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
    gingerbread and Driftwood like this.
  11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Airplane III: Diving for the Titanic

Liut, maumann and HanSenSE like this.
  12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If only they made it from a duck

Flip Wilson and SixToe like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted