1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new exhibit joins the Titanic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Man, I REALLY picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Raises a couple interesting ethical questions:

First, knowing the risks, if the passengers signed a waiver indemnifying the charter company against fault in the case of a fatal accident (which they all did), what responsibility do the rest of us bear for their safety?

And, if we're going to spend millions to rescue 5 wealthy tourists, why are we not holding ourselves to the same standard when it comes to saving hundreds of drowning refugees?

gingerbread and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Fuck'em. They're brown.

That's why.

TigerVols likes this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As opposed to being stuck two miles underwater and waiting for the oxygen to run out after 96 hours?

I have, obviously, thought, of how my sister and her family died in the plane crash and by all accounts they had maybe less than a second of knowing it was going to end after the plane clipped some trees before they crashed. I'll take that over the slow-moving knowing-it's-coming end.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Freezing to death in the dark? Gasping your last with anoxia?

No thanks. But mostly we don't get to choose.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep.
    Obviously the choice is usually not up to you, but something that happens instantly or in the matter of a couple seconds would, to me, be far preferable to a process that goes on long enough for you to curse your fate, dwell on your regrets, wonder what you could or should have done differently, all that stuff.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Do we knowingly ignore hundreds of drowning refugees in real time?

Or do we find out about it later?

Honest question. I doubt there's paperwork letting authorities know of their impending arrival and technology indicating they're missing.

Batman likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What do you think the Coast Guard does for a living?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Refers to this, upthread:

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I've never thought about what the perfect name would be for a guy who runs deep sea expeditions for rich people with a death wish. But Stockton Rush is the perfect name for a guy who runs deep sea expeditions for rich people with a death wish.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It also sounds like a really shitty Mountain Dew flavor.

Draft saved Draft deleted