1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All News format out, ESPN Radio takes over

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Readallover, Aug 13, 2024.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

1) I think you can say that about some sports columnists. Unless they are true freaks about a sport like Bob Ryan or Joe Poz, there seems to be some burnout which leads to lazy, cynical thoughts.

2) Nobody has the same perspective at 60 as they did at 30. So the person on air is aging while the people who are the focus of advertising are the same age. Tough gig.

Hermes and maumann like this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Should be noted that when Ryan stepped away from regular to occasional columns at the Globe, he said one big reason was he wasn't as happy with his work as he used to be. That's real intellectual honest and courage.

BitterYoungMatador2 and HanSenSE like this.
  3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I thought Imus produced some of the best radio I have ever heard when it was not about him. He could be a good interviewer and had some funny material. But most of the show was Imus being self indulgent talking about about how great he was or some petty feud he was having with someone. That got very boring very quickly.

Liut likes this.
  4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agreed, for the most part. Let's keep in mind the I-Man indulged in a lot of satire.
    To my previous point, Bartlett and McCord were hugely-talented co-conspirators.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted