1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose college basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

For you mid-major lovers, College of Charleston just eliminated Appy State in an OUTSTANDING overtime Southern Conference semifinal. App's at-large chances won't be as good losing in the semis, even though they beat Vandy and Virginia in the regular season.

And Bobby C. might just have the Cougs back. Them playing Dell Curry's son (a freshman stud) and Davidson tomorrow should be a fun title game in Charleston with the homecourt advantage. This Draper kid at Charleston is quick and exciting and can freakin play, and so can Curry.

Anyone catch that game on fullcourt? It was awesome.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I noticed that score and was about to make a post about that game. I'm stunned to see Charleston with the upset, given how poorly they played last weekend to finish the regular season.

Oh, and Missouri State got a much-needed victory against Wichita State to open The Valley tournament. A loss there probably would have cost them any chance for an at-large berth.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Admittedly I hadn't watched them much, but with all the talk about App and Davidson, how did Charleston lose five times in that league with a pretty good coach and that talent? What a talented mid-major team with shooters, athletes and size. I guess Davidson's Bob McKillop (who should be at a bigger school) is one reason, and App is pretty damn talented, too. Maybe they had to learn to play Cremins's style.

4. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

GSU once again pulls the first-round upset with the shot of the day.
    Leonard Mendez hit a 23-footer at the buzzer for a 70-68 win.
    I couldn't believe that it led the 6 p.m. SportsCenter tonight over last night's nailbiting 58-56 AFL game between Nashville and Columbus.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Stephen Curry(Dell's son) is a beast.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Now, I know I'm getting old. A few years ago, Del Curry's son would play one-on-one with Leo Rautins' son after Raptors' practices. (Leo is the team's TV analyst.) Curry was one of the best guys I've ever dealt with and his son was a terrific kid. Not surprisingly, both were fundamentally sound and Stephen had the same fluid shooting stroke as his dad.

Rautins was glowing when his son came off the bench to score 19 in a big Syracuse win last weekend. Of course, that could have been his perma-tan.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

There's no way Appy's in the NCAAs now. They probably needed to get to the final against Davidson and lose in multiple OTs. Four good wins -- Vandy, Virginia, VCU, Witchita State -- but that's not going to be enough.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Kevin Durant and Texas are shooting Kansas right out of Allen Fieldhouse. Wow.
    3 after 3 after 3

49-35

9. WSKY

WSKY Member

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The Longhorns are an absolute buzzsaw this week. Wow.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Go. Texas.

12. Chuck~Taylor

52 seconds left in the 1st half and Durant is 5/5 from 3 point land.

Draft saved Draft deleted