1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose college basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Nov 11, 2006.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Tremendous game, though. Harvey Hale has 21 points in the overtimes after making one free throw in regulation.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Senor Hack ... I don't believe Saint Louis was in the Metro. I covered the final Metro tournament in college, and the lineup was -- Louisville, Virginia Tech, VCU, UNC Charlotte, Tulane, South Florida, Southern Miss.

Saint Louis was in the Great Midwest with Xavier and Dayton, IIRC.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt ...

The widespread NCAA conference realignment affected the Billikens, as they made the move from Conference USA (which was created by a merger between the Metro and Great Midwest Conferences) to the Atlantic 10 on July 1, 2005. This became the sixth conference affiliation for SLU since 1937.

Through the years, SLU has been affiliated with the Missouri Valley Conference (1937-1974); the defunct Metro Conference (1975-1982); the Midwestern Collegiate Conference, now known as the Horizon League (1982-1991); and the defunct Great Midwest Conference (1991-1995).

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

OK, that makes sense, then. I was six when SLU was in the Metro. That's why I don't remember.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Saint Louis is old, old school Metro. I think the Billikens were among the original members (along with Georgia Tech), but left in the early 80s.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Totally disagree. What a great fucking game to watch. Especially from where I was, which was a bar stool.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

How far down does Texas A&M drop? The Aggies were considered a 2 seed, could they drop to a 4?

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not sure where this is coming from, given that they don't play Oklahoma State until 7 p.m. tomorrow.

EDIT -- Now that I've finally gotten home from work and watched the DVR ... um, how did Louisville not get called for a travel on the layup that pushed the game to overtime? I can't stand the Mountaineers, but they got jobbed there.

9. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Somebody read the A&M women's team losing to Iowa State tonight (I did the roundup, unfortunately).

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

John Swofford is a f_cking idiot. There are tickets going for well below face value and EMPTY SEATS. AT AN ACC TOURNAMENT.

Hey Swofford - next time, leave the tournament in North Carolina, with the occasional stop in Atlanta and D.C. for a little variety.

Never mind that the fool also played a "championship football game" in front of a bunch of empty seats in Jacksonville.

In case you couldn't tell, I despise John Swofford.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

State to the semifinals of the SEC Tourney.

12. This post looks familiar. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted